Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Why would this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Default Why would this happen?

This is probably a dumb question but what would be reasons for a company thats not going out of business or being baught out to stop production a popular car (like a Skyline or S15).

Old 01-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Default RE: Why would this happen?

If there are changes in safety regulations, typically they have a cut-off year when all cars must comply to those standards. Sometimes it is more expensive to completely rework a car to meet those new standards than they make on the product line itself. In the case of the Skyline, I believe Nissan's intent is for the 350Z to fill that niche. Nissan wouldn't want to offer (2) high-performance coupes at the same time as they would be stealing customers from each other (thus reducing the production volume on one or the other carline...Say you can make a profit if you produce 75,000 units/year, but if you are offering both cars and can only muster 40,000 units each for sales, you don't pay off the tooling that had to be made to manufacture each car.)

Also, over time, the tooling that makes the car wears down, so eventually they have to replace all of this tooling. If they are spending hundreds of millions on tooling anyway, they usually chose to release something fresh in the market.

A car line that doesn't make profit doesn't stay a car line very long.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:46 AM

Thanks, i understand now, i dont want to sound like a traitor but i was really looking forward to see a 06 Skyline

Old 01-20-2006, 01:04 AM

Skyline can be a very cool car. Incredibly strong bottom end in the engine. (It's not uncommon to see 800-1000 hp Skylines.)

Old 01-22-2006, 02:43 AM

This is how much i love the skyline...if somebody offered me the choise between a Diablo, a Corvette, a Viper, a Mclaren, and a Skyline i would chose the Skyline be4 i even heard the other car names or the condition of the Skyline.

Old 01-22-2006, 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Tracker

This is how much i love the skyline...if somebody offered me the choise between a Diablo, a Corvette, a Viper, a Mclaren, and a Skyline i would chose the Skyline be4 i even heard the other car names or the condition of the Skyline.
While I admire your dedication and share your admiration of the Skyline, you'd be a fool to take the Skyline over a McLaren. A fool with a big bowl of rice.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:31 PM

I know what you mean but reguardless i just love the Skyline very much but not get me wrong id pick the McLaren but not first.

Old 01-28-2006, 07:35 AM
DM3

The Nissan Skyline was built when Nissan was, in-effect, a different car company. Since the last version of the R34 (Skyline) was designed (back in the '90s) the company went through major financial problems and was taken over (purchased) by Renault. Nissan has revampted most, if not all, of it's product line (including Infiniti cars) and chosen a common-platform strategy to strengthen it's profit margin. Basically the Nissan 350z, Infinti M series and G series cars share the same platform. Quite a few "different" vehicles that share the same parts! Their other cars share a common platform and their trucks share a common-platform as well! The new Skyline is expected in the next year or two and will be marketed to the world as a Nissan but will probably be sold in the US as an Infiniti. VW proved that their name was not strong enough to support the Phaeton at $62k - $100k so Nissan feels the Infiniti name will be able to market the new Skyline which is expected to cost around $70k. It will be based - amazingly! - on the same platform as the next series of vehicles, as the ones listed before, are introduced.

BTW: The original Skyline's were created for the Japanese market (R32 & R33) only. As the car continued to get more powerful, interest was gained by several other countries/markets and the R34 (if I am not mistaken) was sold in some with right-hand drive only. There is a company in California that imports, federalizes & sells them as used vehicles with prices over $100k. US has had the most safety related regulations for vehicles to be sold here and the Skyline as good as it is probably would not have passed. It would have cost Nissan to much money to have it receive a DOT approval. Nevermind the fact they would have had to re-engineer the car to be a left-hand driver's car. Anyway that's about it for Skyline. Hope this helped answer part of your question.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:52 PM

**** yeah it answered my question, thanx

Old 01-31-2006, 01:33 PM

Pic of the new Skyline, front

[IMG]local://upfiles/2810/DA6005E9A8B44964870F885D848023ED.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Why would this happen?