Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! brand new 2015 - horrible mileage - 23mpg for highway

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:38 PM

I have a 90 mile r/t on roads that are mostly 65 or 70 limits with the return usually into a decent wind (20mph) and with 19000 so far am averaging 26-27 mpg which I find very nice. My 04 Mazda 6 Sportwagon got about 21-22 mpg for the trip.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:21 AM
Default Cold weather, MPG drops 10%

Owners of the original CX-5 had 2.0L engines, they get 7% better mileage according to EPA than the newer 2.5L. Manual transmissions get significant MPG bumps. AWD gets a few less MPG. Make sure you are not mixing apples and oranges with comparisons.

Our 2013 2.0L Front-drive automatic consistently got 34.8 MPG on a 65 MPH cruise-controlled all-day non-mountainous trips (measured at the pump on 4 full tanks). And it was stuffed full of gear, with bikes on the back too. But it was summer, winter gas blends get less MPG and temperatures below freezing drop our MPG about 10% (we get down to 28mpg in around town driving in January and February, in other moths it is consistently 30-31).

When my husband drives he get 10% lower than when I do, even on the highway. Rather than drive with the traffic he darts around people to get one car ahead at the next light, and he likes to accelerate uphill instead of maintaining constant speed.

Like other say, watch the RPMs. Keep it below 2,500 and you should see that extra 10%.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:34 PM

Thanks for posting this, the fuel economy is one thing I liked about the CX-5 but now I see the truth, nobody has time to be doing 65 on the freeway lol

Old 08-05-2015, 02:38 PM

I have a Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD and am getting horrible highway mileage. I've had the car for a little over a year, and car currently has little over 22,000 miles on it. Before my last oil change at 20k miles, I was averaging 28 mpg a tank. The mpg has rapidly decreased to 23-24 avg mpg currently over the last couple 2,000 miles and I am concerned if there is anything wrong the vehicle that I should check for.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:51 PM
Banned

Does anybody change/check air filter and put in fuel injector cleaner?
I would be doing the cleaner additive at least twice a year. I put a little of Redline in every other tank of fuel.
A clogged air filter kills mileage. An aftermarket air filter like a K&N drop in stock replacement flows better than stock and would last longer.

Fuel Injector Cleaner Reviews - What's the Best?
Does Fuel Injector Cleaner Work? - BlueDevil Products

Although even the lightest car today weighs in at over a ton, its proper functioning depends on very small apertures in its fuel line system called injectors. The thing that you need to understand about gasoline is that, in order to actually explode and not just burn away, it needs to be atomized or pulverized. So deep in your engine you have tiny pressurized chambers that squirt small amounts of gas into the cylinders where the actual explosions take place. These are all, of course, very precisely controlled operations, but, as you would expect, after years of use, those tiny heads tend to get clogged up with small deposits of impurities. That is why, every now and again, you need to clean those tiny chambers called fuel injectors. A recent study found that every 10,000 miles the buildup of gunk on your engine components reaches its maximum point so that would be the best moment to use a fuel injector cleaning system. It used to be that you would need to take the car to a specialized shop that would take out the injectors and use all types of chemicals and procedures to actually clean them up. But today you can simply add a special compound to your fuel and, as it flows through the injectors, with the fuel, it cleans them away. It works by attaching itself to the dirt particles and braking them apart so it does not affect your actual engine components in any way, except to clean them and allow them to work properly.

1. Best Fuel Injector Cleaner If Price Is Not an Issue: The very best fuel injector cleaner on the market today is the BG 44K cleaner system.

2. Best Fuel Injector Cleaner for the Money: Lucas Oil 10013 Fuel Treatment

3. Best Fuel Injector Cleaner on a Budget: Chevron 65740 Techron Concentrate Plus.

4. Honorable Mention 1: Red Line 60103 the 1 I use

FROM: Best Fuel Injector Cleaner of 2015 | Best Fuel Injector Cleaner of 2015

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 08-05-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:13 AM

I have a 2.5 engine Grand Touring CX5 and am getting about 27 in highway driving (no headwinds or hills, lots of a/c) at 70-75 mph and 26.0 in city driving with a very light foot. My mileage is the same whether or not I use cruise control. My dealer has checked the car and found nothing wrong with it. I've driven about 8500 miles and keep my tire pressure at 37.

I don't understand how other people with the same CX5 model are actually getting 5-6 mpg more at the same speeds. My friends with Honda CRVs are consistently the rated highway mileage from their cars at the same speeds, so I don't really think you have to be driving 60 mph on the highway to get the rated mpg.

Last edited by Suziesilverado; 08-07-2015 at 07:46 AM. Reason: correcting actual psi to 37
Old 08-06-2015, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Suziesilverado
I have a 2.5 engine Grand Touring CX5 and am getting about 27 in highway driving (no headwinds or hills, lots of a/c) at 70-75 mph and 26.0 in city driving with a very light foot. My mileage is the same whether or not I use cruise control. My dealer has checked the car and found nothing wrong with it. I've driven about 8500 miles and keep my tire pressure at 29.
Why are you running your tires 5# below Mazda's recommendation?

Old 08-07-2015, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by dvu_tx
I have a Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD and am getting horrible highway mileage. I've had the car for a little over a year, and car currently has little over 22,000 miles on it. Before my last oil change at 20k miles, I was averaging 28 mpg a tank. The mpg has rapidly decreased to 23-24 avg mpg currently over the last couple 2,000 miles and I am concerned if there is anything wrong the vehicle that I should check for.
Sounds like you got the wrong oil. Our 2013 says 0w20.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by CurlyBrian
Sounds like you got the wrong oil. Our 2013 says 0w20.
I had my oil change done at the Mazda dealership so I hope that's not the issue, though it's not the one where I bought my car.

I just poured a small bottle of fuel injecter cleaner into the gas tank, so I hope that makes a difference. Else, I feel like I'll need to bring the car into the dealership to be checked out.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:24 PM

I've had my CX-5 Touring for about one month and have about 1700 miles on it. The average mpg displayed on the dash shows 23.9 no matter how I drive. Even if I sit and idle for 30 minutes the average stays the same. I don't typically waste fuel like this though. After a recent fill-up I calculated my mpg as 25.7. Shouldn't the average mpg display change under varying driving styles?

Quick Reply: HELP! brand new 2015 - horrible mileage - 23mpg for highway