Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 GT rolls while in Drive, engine off

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by JeffMD
OP hasnt really gotten back to us. Would like to know if they were in an auto or manual trans, cause it's hard to turn the car off in drive on AT.
OP stated that the incident occurred when he left trans in "drive". Sound like an automatic to me!

Old 09-06-2016, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
OP stated that the incident occurred when he left trans in "drive". Sound like an automatic to me!
Problem is you generally can't remove the key, or even turn the engine off on push starts if your in drive on an auto. There is no accidently leaving it in drive.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:08 AM

Problem is you generally can't remove the key, or even turn the engine off on push starts if your in drive on an auto. There is no accidently leaving it in drive.
Our 2016 Mazda3 S GT doesn't have a key which fits the ignition; it uses a push button start. I strongly suspect the OP's car is the same.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:23 PM

There are a FEW cars like you describe. There are MILLIONS and MILLIONS of cars on the planet that just have a regular key or a "smart key" but no push button start.
Your car may have a push button start. The vast majority of your neighbors do not.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by nhtrib
There are a FEW cars like you describe. There are MILLIONS and MILLIONS of cars on the planet that just have a regular key or a "smart key" but no push button start.
Your car may have a push button start. The vast majority of your neighbors do not.
Not sure what your point is, the OP clearly stated he/she is driving a 2016 Mazda3, which I believe comes with pushbutton start by default.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Not sure what your point is, the OP clearly stated he/she is driving a 2016 Mazda3, which I believe comes with pushbutton start by default.
What in the f$^k in going on here:"The other day, I parked my CX-5 on a slight incline, turned the engine off, and accidentally left it in Drive."
Somebody needs to learn how to read and stop wasting everyone's time!

Old 09-07-2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Push buttons don't turn off while in drive unless you spam the hell out of the button or hold it for a long period of time. Like I said, you can't turn the car off while accidently leaving it in drive. You know damn well its still in drive because a single press isn't turning the car off.

Anyways, OP is gone.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:04 PM

Sorry, my bad; CX-5, it matters not, same functionality. If the OP managed to turn the engine off when the transmission was still in Drive, then he or she shouldn't be surprised the vehicle was able to roll. Long story short, Operator Error.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

I hopped into a CX-5 at work today, took the handbrake off, selected reverse with ignition on engine off, guess what? It rolled backwards on me. Selected drive next, guess what? It rolled backwards on me!!

Tried the same thing with a CX-3, guess what? Same result.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:01 AM

Thanks! I wonder how many folks are surprised with the results of your test.

Quick Reply: 2016 GT rolls while in Drive, engine off