Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Mazda dohc 16 valve problem loss power and ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Default Mazda dohc 16 valve problem loss power and ticking noise

Hi there, I just recently got problems with my car.(Mazda Familia 92 Dohc 16 Valve 1600cc)

1st of all, When I turn the car hardleft or right, there is a horible ticking sound. Only until I straighten up the car, the ticking goes away.

2ndly, There is a major loss of power and a slight jerking. Some times it makes a poping noise when I try to floor it in 1st, 2nd and third. You can hear the difference!!! Also, It feels like there isnt any petrol in the car, even though there is a half tank. Recently on a trip back home, 200km away, I had to full my tank once and half, when on other ocasions, I could happily make it with a half a tank. There is a considerable differnce in petrol loss. Could It be fuel pump, filter or spark plugs??????

Help please
Josh

Old 07-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Default RE: Mazda dohc 16 valve problem loss power and ticking noise

Ticking noise when you are turning hard to either side is most often an indication of outer CV joint problems. Check the accordian boots at each outer cv joint to see if they are torn open and have allowed grease to escape and debris to get in.
As for the jerking and power loss, would look first to the secondary ignition system. This would include the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:40 PM

I have a '92 1.8L DOHC Protege, and had the very same problems, with the turning hard to the left, and the lack of power, although my lack of power was at specific rpmsthrough different gears. It also happened to stall once on me at a stop light. The engine light came on andwentoff, and the code came up as an O2 sensor.

I had the cap and rotorpressure tested, no problems there. Had the spark plugs changed. Seems to be running well now. Iam going to change thewires soon, but it is running fine.

As for solving the rattling when turning hard leftwhen starting, no luck on that butI will look into the CV and accordian boots.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:36 PM

Yeah i've had some recent problems like this also. Later down the road i found out that the lower gas mileage was due to the build up of carbon in my engine.mainly on my pistons and valves, which starting to cause my valves to stick. This alone can have a tremendous negative affect on your engines ability to output the necessary power a any rpm.