General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2016 Mazda 2 problems entering 1st gear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Default 2016 Mazda 2 problems entering 1st gear?

Hello everyone,

I purchased the new Mazda 2 this summer, and since start the car had issues with the transmission. Dealship ensured me that it was just "parts that needed pairing through driving", but issues got more and more present.

Issues with the gearbox refusing to go into 1st gear after holding still at traffic lights, generel lack of smoothness in driving, etc.,

The dealership finally took a look at it, and fiddled with some things. Car was a lot better - for 2-3 days, then all back to normal - the gear issue was never fixed.

I take it in again to the dealership, now they claim to have exchanged the entire gearbox. 1st gear problem still exist - and now it also has a "rough" entry to 3rd gear, where it seems like they didnt match-up the sockets with the gear - when going from 2nd to 3rd, it gets "stuck" in the entry, before then clicking into gear.

Now im not even sure what to do anymore. Any others had this experience?

Old 11-25-2015, 03:19 AM

Is your clutch engaging/disengaging properly?

Old 11-25-2015, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by thzpcs
Is your clutch engaging/disengaging properly?
It does have some "jerkiness" to it I suppose, when release the clutch especially. If you're not absolutely focused on the release, it will jerk all over the place. It reminds me a bit of an old Porsche I drove once, no mercy on the clutch there either.

It also has a "curring" sound when releasing the clutch slowly, right when it engages, it is not a constant noise, but reoccuring at intervals equal to the throttle. I suppose its "grinding" against something - which the dealership told me was absolutely normal for a new car ( Its still present at 4.000km )

Old 10-08-2016, 04:14 AM
Default 1st gear not going in

Hi Nkap,

I have the same problem as you mention.
After driving in 4th or 5th thru city, and then come to a completely stop at traffic lights or roundabout without going to 4,3,2 gears (like the instructors teach, that you should only break and only push the clutch when you feel its going to halt), the 1st gear wont go in, I have to push the clutch twice so it can go in or i can try to put 2nd and then the 1st gear goes in.

I have had the car since Oct 2015 in England, its a Mazda 2 115ps Sport Nav version, right hand drive.

I notice the problem since day 1, at a week I called the dealer witch said it was some part that will get fit with driving, because it was very new. In February 2016, with more than 2500 miles, I took it to the dealer, a supervisor went with me in the car (because he was not sure I was using clutch correctly) and drive himself, we tried the drive-stop until he got with the 1st gear problem twice, then he took in to the workshop where they adjust the clutch, and top-up the gearbox oil. They said I should drive it more and will get better.

Then a week ago, the car went for the yearly service and I have told the problem of the 1st gear still exist. When they return me the car, they said they have tested and no problem was found. I had to insist a supervisor come with me to test it, and we did the same as in Feb, drive in 4th or 5th and stop completely to go into 1st gear. After a few trials, we hit the problem again, the 1st gear was not going in. Then he came with weird explanations that I should not go from 4th to 1st, that I should reduce gears in order, and that the problem was that the flying wheel is still spinning because I havent reduce the gears in order.

Beside this problem the car is fantastic, and the other gears are going OK.
Have you done more to solve this issue?

Old 06-21-2021, 03:09 AM
Default Problem with 1st gear at mazda 2 2020

Hello to everyone!I have the same problem on a mazda 2 2020.I have it from day one,the dealer said there is no problem but the problem still exists at 6000 km! Sometimes 1st gear wont go in!!!If you did anything to solve this please reply...thank you.