Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Rims, Tires, and HID kits...oh my

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:46 AM
Default Rims, Tires, and HID kits...oh my

Hello folks,

I'm a newbie to the forum...and to cars in general...lol.
I've got a few questions for anyone who would like to answer...

First, I've got an '07 Mazda6 (4-cylinder) sedan. In the spring I am thinking of putting new rims and tires on, but I honestly don't know much about these kinds of things.Basically I'm just doing this for looks, I don't race or mod at all...this is the first car that was in good enough shape to even consider this stuff. With that said, here is what I'm thinking.

I want to put 18" rims on and get some idea as to what size the tire is going to be. The car's color is SandStone (I think..duh) or some kind of brownish tan type thing. I've been looking at quite a few rims and found two or three that might be good...Decorsa "Oracle" (black), Platinum Gripp (black), and Limited 018 (black machined). I can't quite picture them on the car and wondering if one of these would be a good choice? Next, what kind of tire should go on something like this??? I've been doing some looking and I'm thinking a 215/45R18 might work...but don't have a clue. Oh yeah, there's already 205/60R 16 on it now. Something that is suited for everyday driving is good, and also something that can handle higher speeds too +200kph...you know, for the highway..lol (zoomzoom right)
Any input would be great.

Last, I want an HID kit...I'm thinking somewhere between 6000k and 8000k. Is it possible to getlike a 7000k kit??? Anywho, I'm almost possitive I'll void thewarrenty if Iget itas that is what the dealership told me but I can handle that. What I want to know is can I simply put one of those things on right out of the box on the car, or is the wiring to weak to handle something like that? If so, what do I do to overcome that, and how much will it cost(CDN)? Has there been any major problems reported with HID kits?Any garage I go to around town knows absolutely nothing about them since they just got them in.

I think thats it for now, I've got so many things running through my head its hard to put them into a complete thought.

Any info is greatly appreciated,

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Default RE: Rims, Tires, and HID kits...oh my

i have HIDs on my 6. i have the 6700k. and the shop that installed them didnt put a harnest that was strong enough to support the hids. so my lights dont turn on all the time. and you will hav to keep switchin the lights on and off to make them go on.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Rims, Tires, and HID kits...oh my

A stock 6 wheel has a +60mm offset. THAT is the most critical thing to consider when choosing new wheels. That is gonna be hard to match as the most you are liable to find in a AM wheel is +50mm. I wouldchoose my new wheels (as I did) on that spec alone. Nearly everything else (diameter/width/weight) is negotiable.
If you stay with nothing bigger than an 18"x7.5"x +50mm you should be OK w/o rolling the fender lips.
A 215/45x18 will be just a bit shorter (D=25.62") than your current 205/60"s (D=25.69") but that can work to your advantage too. And it is closest to the OE diameter in an 18".
For HID"s, if the 6 series has a voltage/resistance problem in the harness, definitely consider a harness w/a relay, or at the very least a harness w/heavier wiring than the OE.
Also remember that the higher the temperature, measured in Kelvin, the lower the output of the light. i.e. a 75 watt soft-white bulb vs. a 75 watt black light bulb. More heat, but less light output or lumen's, less efficient.