Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Black car swirl marks

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Default Black car swirl marks

I have a mica black S3. Even though I have been very careful to hand wash it, and use the microfiber towels, I have the inevitable swirl marks. They are most apparent when the sun is at an angle. What is the best product to eliminate or at least minimize this problem? I would prefer not to use a buffer if possible. thanks in advance

Old 02-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Black car swirl marks

You may not want to use a buffer, but that's the easiest way to take care of this. You need to use some form of polish, and the buffer would be the best way to get it on there evenly. Your other option would be to take it to a professional detailer and have them buff everything out for you. Here's an example from www.mazda3forum.com of what some well done detailing can do for you. (found HERE)

So far I have:
Washed
Clayed
Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant Glaze in door jambs
3m Rubbing Compound via porter cable
Megairs Swirl Remover via porter cable
Nattys blue paste wax via porter cable
Finish Kare #425 ultra slick spray

Still have:
to polish/wax roof and both bumpers
clean all glass
clean, polish, seal rims
dress all plastic trim

Heres some before and afters:

Old 02-09-2007, 02:30 PM

WOW, NOW THATS A SHINY CAR - LOOKS GREAT

Old 02-09-2007, 03:28 PM

Thanks bro. I have come to the same conclusion about the buffer. I am going to get the Porter Cable kit from AutoGeek. I think that is the same one I see reflected in your pic.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:05 PM

Wow!! noticable difference. Wow. I haven't had the swirls become noticeable but you know it's coming. I'll have to check out that buffer cause I'm sure a detail will be at least $100.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:44 PM

The cure to swirls on a black car is don't buy black...Until Toyota launches their new black paint that pulls swirls and fine scratches out with just warm water...

Old 02-10-2007, 03:32 AM

I have the Black as well, and use Zaino this stuff works flawlessly I would show a pic put this page is not loading it. Go to zainostore.com for more information on swirl free paint

[IMG]local://upfiles/6623/1B69F6E1288245E49544E9C79050890A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-10-2007, 06:36 PM

It is my understanding that polishes that claim to get rid of swirls, only do so by "filling in" the swirls with oil or whatever. That is why after a period of time the seem to re-appear. I have experienced this phenomenon before. In fact, it occured with this car. I used "Xymol" on it and it looked great for about 2 weeks. After I washed it, the next day they re-appeared like magic. The only way to truly get rid of the swirls is to buff them out. It doesn't matter what color car you have you will still get them. Only they show more on dark colors.

I have ordered a kit from autogeek, that includes the Porter Cable buffer. I intend to buff the car out this coming weekend, and I will report back with the results.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:55 PM

also microfiber towels arent good

Old 02-10-2007, 10:00 PM

How old is your car? To my understanding you dont drive it that much anyway so how do you have swirls must be the microfiber towels i dont use them because i hear they scratch the clear coat.

Quick Reply: Black car swirl marks