Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

A year later.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:45 AM
VB
Default A year later.

So, about 13 months after purchasing the Malibu, I've got time to look back at my time with it.

Originally, I was intent on buying a Mazda 6. I had located and purchased one such model in Wayne, NJ, but the car had been neglected in the two weeks the dealer had to prep it...the staff were ********, additionally. I broke off the transaction and took my patronage elsewhere, to other Mazda dealerships. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything in my range, so I had to accept the fact that I wouldn't be able to get what I desired (and what I had worked to pay for the 3 previous years!).

Disappointed, I set off (at my parents' decision) to Chevrolet dealerships for a Malibu. "A God-awful Malibu....great," I thought. And verbalized. But, this was a turbulent time in my family, so I didn't really have the chance to state my case. We wound eventually up in North Brunswick, NJ, at Malouf Chevrolet (I drove other Malibus at other dealerships). After multiple arguments on how much ***** the 2.2L sucked, I agreed to test drive a 3.5L Malibu. Immediately after we got in the car, my mom loved it...I didn't share her exuberance, to be blunt. It was a boring design made by boring people for other boring. It's a car for your mother, or your grandmother, I thought. We took it for a drive and it was okay. No drama, but no excitement. Basically what I expected. So we bought it...I do admit the staff there are much more pleasant than the Mazda ones.

So, after a few months I still don't like that car at all. Then, on a late night in September, I was waiting at the red light in Mount Loretto. Out of nowhere, I'm hit by a Tahoe...no damage to me, but $5500 worth to the car. I honestly thought that it might be written off at that point. I was sort of happy...and yet, saddened. I didn't want to see it off to a scrap yard so early in its life with me. I glumly drove it home and backed it into my driveway...then covered it with a tarp. For the next two weeks, the first thing I saw every morning was the destroyed rear end of the car I had worked so hard to get. I felt terrible for two weeks, and I drove my auxiliary car (my father's Corolla) angrily. I came close to crashing it a few times - that is how aggressively I drove it...which, if anyone reading this has been in the car with me, knows is completely out of character.

So, two weeks go by, and my car has a brand-spankin' new rear fascia. I was so overjoyed to have MY car back that I burned out of the lot. I hadn't had the Malibu long, but it was like an old friend had just come out of the hospital. I spent the next week tearing about with a smile on my face, but I eventually returned to my usual driving style. Fast-forward to December, the week of the first huge snowstorm out here. On my way back from work (at the time, Paramount Decorators - it has since closed) one night, I visited Gateway Park...ing lot. I spent a good hour tearing up the fresh powder with my heavy American sedan and wasting a whole bunch of gas. But it was all good, and it left me with a smirk on my face. I did the same when the next storm came, this time all over the CSI campus at 7 AM. What a blast.

I've had fun, an accident, and many near-misses with this car. There are better cars out there, but this one is mine. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: A year later.

I love the Full Metal Jacket reference at the end, Vince!! One of my favorite films.
And I know what you mean. It's yours and no one else's. You have your stuff in there and know by second nature where all the controls are and how the car will react in various conditions. You and your BU have bonded.
... As long as you don't try to reproduce using it, or call her Christine, it's OK.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:00 AM
VB

ORIGINAL: virgin1
... As long as you don't try to reproduce using it, or call her Christine, it's OK.
Love in a car? I prefer love in an elevator...

And Christine? Where'd that come from?

Old 08-27-2008, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

Not love IN a car. Perhaps I should've said, reproducing WITH your car?
And Christine was a little book (and movie) written by Steven King about a'57 Plymouththat possesses it's owners? I'm sure you've heard of it.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:37 AM

only aerosmith can have love in an elevator. and yea as richard said christine is a movie too i watched the movie didnt read the book

Old 08-27-2008, 04:10 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: virgin1

Not love IN a car. Perhaps I should've said, reproducing WITH your car?
And Christine was a little book (and movie) written by Steven King about a'57 Plymouththat possesses it's owners? I'm sure you've heard of it.
Always was more of a Koontz man. '57? Too early for the Barracuda...musta been a Belvedere?

Old 08-27-2008, 06:36 PM

It was a 58 Plymouth Fury

Old 08-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, SST is right!! It was a '58! The year of the gawdy.... You only have to look as far as the first year (also '58) Chevy Impala.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

BTW: I saw the movie first which intrigued me to read the book. But after reading the book may I suggest that you see the "B" movie made around the book, It's less painful than reading King's account of every leaf onevery tree, every pothole in the roadand every dent in every car.
His attention to detail is astounding but his writing leaves nothing to the imagination. It is tedious, which I guess is why it appeals to the least common denominator, soap opera and reality show types.
Ifound myselfskipping ahead three pages at a time and missing nothing.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:34 PM
VB

I can't believe this thread is two and a half years old...crazy. I feel like I was such a kid when I registered on this site...

Side note: I still want a first gen Mazda 6. Anyone got a 6i 5-speed they'd like to trade? I kid. But still, I've had a lot of good times and bad times with the Malibu. I've grown up with it. I'll sure as hell miss her when she goes.

Quick Reply: A year later.