Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Why not Ford

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:24 AM
Default Why not Ford

If Henry Ford was the first person to build a car, why is Ford not the best and best selling car of all time ?

Old 06-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Default RE: Why not Ford

because first doesn't always mean best.. Most of the time the original creator introduces an idea that others improve upon, and this is how the object develops.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 AM

Henry Ford didn't invent the car, just the assembly line concept of production. There were many cars developed and sold to the public prior to the model T

Old 06-24-2008, 12:30 PM

ford was in support of the **** programme...

Old 06-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, I had always heard that the Duryea Brothers (France? I'm not sure) built the first usable car... a horseless carriage, but that Daimler built the first production car, though only a small number of them. The tiller car had a single cylinder engine w/roughly5-8hp on a good day.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:28 PM

because the japanese took over. i mean look at now. what do you see in dealerships. GM Dodge and Ford Trucks suvs vans ETC in the used dealerships. you will find seldom imports because they are all sold. i saw an 06 prius being sold for 27000 for god sakes. next day somebody bought it! its because generally no japanese car will go above a 6 cyl and most of them are 4 cyl. this is why the auotomotive industry is going down. which is actually not good for me because i inspect automotive parts for these companies. Back in the day when gas didnt matter honda toyota and mazda were barely out there. they had some cars but not as many as the domestics. but when gas prices started going up people got smarter and decided to buy foreign. which is why there is now many closures and strikes due to plants closing down. i mean look at the GM plant in oshawa. first about a half a year ago about 1100 people lost their jobs. now they close the plants. people are starting to realize that they are having to look for new jobs sooner or later because foreign vehicles are taking over due to their fuel effiency and their higher reliablity then domestic. think about it nowadays used dealerships basically give you money to take the vehicles. and dodge has that 2.99 a gallon in the United States. its all about economy and with it being how it is everyone switches over to the more effienct position. as have most of us on this forum (except for siber express with his f-150)

Old 06-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

^ ^ *What the heck was that all about??*^ ^

Old 06-24-2008, 09:14 PM

Jamie's maybe upset cause even "we" (with four bangers) are starting to feel the crunch at the pumps. 1.35a litre now.[]

Back on topic.

I remember this about Henry. "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black".
Wonder when they started using different colors. Vg1 - Wern't you there when that happend? Just kidding.................

Old 06-24-2008, 09:58 PM

Actually Jaimie, if I had not bought the Mazda, it would cost me less to drive the F150 back and forth to work than it does right now with the 3.
You figure car payment, insurance on the 2nd car and itis more than the gas for the truck.
Now the 6500 dollar to replace paint job is the main reason the truck moved into the garage. driving a more economic vehicle is just because I liked the M3 [8D]

As For Ford, for a domestic vehicle, I would own nothing else, but even my F150 is an Import, it was made in Canada LOL.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:23 AM

Thanks for your feedback guys. Everything that has been said so far makes sense.
I have asked myself this question about Ford a few times and I have just decided to put the question out in the open. Also owned a Ford in the past and it was an okay car ! The other manufactures are just doing a bit better (in my opinion).

Look at Mazda, they really build value for money cars, I would rather buy a New Mazda 6 before I buy a BMW 3 series just because the Mazda has the same features and even more for less !

Quick Reply: Why not Ford