Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

What's the Point of Mercury?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Default What's the Point of Mercury?

I wonder why the Mercury brand name still exists? They don't have any distinct models in their line up any more; they're just Fords with Mercury badges. By contrast, Lincoln is definatley aimed at the luxury market. They are to Ford what Lesux is to Toyota. But I just don't get Mercury. IMO, Ford should deep-six Mercury, and continue to strengthen Mazda and Lincoln. They should definately keep Volvo and sell off everything else from the Premier Automotive Group (Aston-Martin, Land Rover, and Jaguar) which they have either alreadydone or are in the process of doing. It is my understanding that Ford isnegotiating with anIndian firm to sell Land Rover and Jaguar.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Default RE: What's the Point of Mercury?

i dont know. they sell them in us. but we dont get mercury here soo hurrah

Old 01-06-2008, 10:06 PM

LR and Jaguar tend to go hand in hand because of the way the dealer networks are set up (typically a dual brand shop Jag/LR) so splitting them up is very problematic. Mercury seems to be attacting a fair number of female and crossover (from foreign brand) buyers.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:30 PM

You go to the Stealership where I bought my F350 at, it is a Ford Lincoln Mercury dealer and they can't keep the Merc's on the lot, so in some markets they are selling.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:53 PM

It seems these companies are competing with themselves as well as the competition. Look at GM with their Chevrolet and Pontiac lines and now there are a few Saturn models that are the same as the Pontiacs and Chevies. Maybe if they caut back on a few of the duplicate models and come up with something new thay might actually start selling cars again

Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 PM
VB

ORIGINAL: cl8ton

It seems these companies are competing with themselves as well as the competition. Look at GM with their Chevrolet and Pontiac lines and now there are a few Saturn models that are the same as the Pontiacs and Chevies. Maybe if they caut back on a few of the duplicate models and come up with something new thay might actually start selling cars again
I've held the opinion that GM should condense its lines for years now. I figure we should just have one line, and use GMC as the name. Avoid duplicating cars like we are now - the Malibu, G6, and Aura are the same car.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:30 AM

Yep, thats just common sense. But we havn't got years of education at a business school, you know "educated beyond your intelligence" so our opinion wouldn't count.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:37 AM
VB

ORIGINAL: cl8ton

Yep, thats just common sense. But we havn't got years of education at a business school, you know "educated beyond your intelligence" so our opinion wouldn't count.
If anything, I'm a domestic buyer. I should have some say!...even if my car only cost 12K. [8D]

Old 01-10-2008, 11:14 AM

Manufacturers have forgotten that it's the consumer that drives the market NOT the manufacturer. I see the same thing in the Electronics Business.The manufacturers think that because they build itthe consumer has to buy it.If you could organize consumers you would see a big difference in pricing, development and marketing. The manufacturers would deffinatly have to change their ways if consumers would just stand up and say "NO"!
AH the "free maket system" what a pipe dream