Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

What song are you listening to now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:16 PM
VB

Wow this thread has been inactive. Here's something Richard would like:

Allman Brothers Band - Melissa.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

You're absolutely correct, Vince. Only when I play that song, it's on a 30 yr old 12 string... my first real guitar.

OK, for all you obscure Blues fans, I've been listening to two different bands lately:
The first is a 1998 self titled album by Tony Redman as the leader of the now disbanded Slashbelly band.
Second is a native NJ/Pennsylvanian named Mike Dugan and the Blues Mission, A Step Ahead of Trouble from 2000.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:16 AM
VB

I've yet to have my own...I attribute it to being a poor student. I hope to get a largish influx of cash in September, when I plan to get started. As far as blues goes, how's this?

Robert Johnson -Crossroads Blues.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

I WAS a poor student when I bought that guitar. $300 including the case and one of the nicest playing and sounding 12 strings (especially for the money) I have ever played. It's biggest downfall is that it does not have a lot of volume, but a pretty sound.

Do you have the Robert Johnson boxed set collection?

Old 06-18-2009, 09:03 AM

Bloodhound gang. Shut up.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

James Brown - Superbad! (On the overhead at work.)

Old 06-18-2009, 04:23 PM
VB

Originally Posted by virgin1

I WAS a poor student when I bought that guitar. $300 including the case and one of the nicest playing and sounding 12 strings (especially for the money) I have ever played. It's biggest downfall is that it does not have a lot of volume, but a pretty sound.

Do you have the Robert Johnson boxed set collection?

Most of my money is going towards another car.

I wish I had the Robert Johnson boxed set...all I have is the Ken Burns Jazz box set.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Talk nice to me and I'll send you a copy, just because...

that's the kind of guy I am.

BTW: The full story is that I knew I wanted a 12-string and had my eye on a Yamaha that had slightly better sound. A friend who already played pretty well told me of the Yamaha's downfalls, headstock design to be specific and I opted for the Sigma (a Martin subsidiary at the time.)
The guitar I bought went bad after one year, so living less than 10 miles from the Martin factory, I took it back. The Luthier I spoke to said it couldn't be fixed. As I had already grown attached to the instrument I pleaded with him to repair MY guitar since I was already emotionally attached, but they gave me another brand new one (1977 model) and set it up for me as I requested on the spot. Took about an hour of me playing and the Luthier making minor adjustments.
That day I took home my second brand new guitar, but at no additional cost to me and with a custom set-up too.
Now 32 yrs later, she's seen better days, but she is still my first guitar and one that stays close at all times.
I have played that guitar in three or four bands now not to mention my own tooling around with her.
When another newer friend offered to buy her from me about 15 yrs ago, I just couldn't part with her. I'm glad I didn't. I would've been sorry in the long run. She is MY guitar and will be until the day I die.

Last edited by virgin1; 06-18-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:39 PM
VB

Originally Posted by virgin1

Talk nice to me and I'll send you a copy, just because...

that's the kind of guy I am.

BTW: The full story is that I knew I wanted a 12-string and had my eye on a Yamaha that had slightly better sound. A friend who already played pretty well told me of the Yamaha's downfalls, headstock design to be specific and I opted for the Sigma (a Martin subsidiary at the time.)
The guitar I bought went bad after one year, so living less than 10 miles from the Martin factory, I took it back. The Luthier I spoke to said it couldn't be fixed. As I had already grown attached to the instrument I pleaded with him to repair MY guitar since I was already emotionally attached, but they gave me another brand new one (1977 model) and set it up for me as I requested on the spot. Took about an hour of me playing and the Luthier making minor adjustments.
That day I took home my second brand new guitar, but at no additional cost to me and with a custom set-up too.
Now 32 yrs later, she's seen better days, but she is still my first guitar and one that stays close at all times.
I have played that guitar in three or four bands now not to mention my own tooling around with her.
When another newer friend offered to buy her from me about 15 yrs ago, I just couldn't part with her. I'm glad I didn't. I would've been sorry in the long run. She is MY guitar and will be until the day I die.

A Martin, huh? Wouldn't happen to be a D-45 by any chance? Just kidding, that would be pretty crazy.

I've wanted to play guitar ever since I fell in love with a Gretsch about 6 months back, but never had the money or the time to learn to play. I saw a White Falcon hanging on a wall at a music store and started drooling, to be honest...

About 3 or so years ago, I didn't listen to or know much about any kind of music (I didn't even know Zep!). In truth, what turned me onto music was actually the Guitar Hero/Rock Band franchises - I began to download and listen...and listen...and listen...to a lot of rock, metal, blues, soul, everything you could think of. Soon enough I wanted to learn to actually play, but I needed a car. Music took more of a backseat in my life for the next couple of years, especially after a guitarist friend of mine said that I'd be wasting my time trying to play, considering the gargantuan hands that I have.

After that blow to my ego, I contemplated a rhythm instrument like bass or drums, since everyone told me that would suit me better and overall be a lot simpler to learn. Lately, though, I decided that I should go ahead and try to learn to play, finally, in the fall (when I have some cash). I have no schooled concept of music, but I've always wanted to actually create something with my hands - I spent 4 years defending myself with them, so a dexterous moveset is not something I have. I'm hopeful that it'll work out eventually though.

And since we're on about guitars, here's one from a man I was born too late to ever see live:

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Lenny.

There's a great story behind that song too, but I'm sure you know it Rich.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe I do and maybe I don't. Give, Vince.

I too have pretty big hands and it is harder to find the right fit. A wider neck at the nut helps a lot, but eliminates alot of really nice instruments out there. I own a few that are harder to play because of that... mostly mid-late 60's Gibsons. In '65 they went to a thinner neck.

Quick Reply: What song are you listening to now?