Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Top Five...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 12:00 AM
Default Top Five...

well, im a really big music nut...ill be attending school starting Fall 2006 majoring in Music and Recording Technology and minoring in the Drumset/Percussion.

what is everyones top five favorite albums of all time? yes, i know its hard to narrow it down to only five but please give it a shot.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Default RE: Top Five...

My top five in no particular order...

-Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun (band from Reykjavik, Iceland...band name translates to 'Victory Rose' and album title translates to 'Good Start', voted band of the century in Scandonavia...influenced a lot by The Stone Roses.)

-Radiohead - OK Computer (band from Oxford, England...this album establishes Radiohead as one of the most inventive and rewarding guitar rock bands of the '90s.)

-Engine Down - To Bury Within the Sound (band from Virginia, USA...very groove oriented, this album is the OK Computer of the indie rock world...great musicianship.)

-Sunny Day Real Estate - How It Feels To Be Something On (band from Seattle, USA...very ambitious, arty, and challenging, band members go on to perform with Foo Fighters and reunite in band called 'The Fire Theft.')

-Tortoise - TNT (band from Chicago, USA...very experimental, jazz, electronics, post-rock, all band members graduated from Berkley School of Music...masters at incorporating technology with music.)

well, theres my list...it was so hard to narrow it down to the five bands.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:57 PM

The Replacements - Pleased To Meet Me
Probably the Greatest unknown rock band of its time. So many that came after owe a huge debt to this band. Some would say Tim is their best and anything before it as well. But for me this was one great tune after another

Led Zeppelin-Physical Graffitti
Actually my fave band of all time. This musicality of this album alone all fitted into something that was uniquely their own. Not to say they were original, as some lawsuits proved, but they absolutely in my opinion did it the best.

The Cult-Love
Post goth, pre metal. I had the good fortune of seeing these guys on their first american tour. This was as they were redefining themselves and emerging from the goth scene that spawned them in the 80's. This album while still having its feet planted in goth/new wave land, showed the big ideas they were to have when they sprouted into a full on hard rock band with the Love Removal Machine album

The Good Rats-Live at Last
These guys were a local area band. Its been said that if Long Island were the world, then these guys would have been as big as the Beatles. We used to go see these guys every weekend. Anywhere they played in NY, NJ, Connecticut, we were there. Although as a fan I loved all their albums the Rats were truly a live band. This album recorded at a club called MY Fathers Place was just truly representative of them in their element

U2-Everything, anything
What can you say about these guys? In terms of popularity, the led zep of their generation? Admittedly I came to the party late. First time I saw them was on the WAR tour. Scalped a ticket, sat in the last row and was absolutly blown away. The greatest concert I've ever been too. and I've been to many. Went out and bought War and all that came before it (Boy, October) and have been a big fan ever since

Old 04-22-2006, 08:42 PM

thats a pretty nice list you got going on there, bruklinboy. Led Zeppelin is a nice pick for a favorite. and i was really suprised to see that you listed The Replacements, not many people have heard of them. good stuff.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:11 AM

Death Cab for Cutie- Plans
Very good stuff, the sound is ok but it's mainly good to mellow to when half awake or on a sunny day. It can be easy to relate to and is very deep in most senses. Not for everyone but some people who like calm smooth voices such as U2 fans will love this.

Metallica- And Justice for All
Ok Metalica in a sense is just awesome. Softcore metal for those of us who like to rock, bob the head, and just let go. The song "One" is very deep and is about war. The music video is touching. Good album.

System of a Down- Toxicity
ONe must really develop a taste for music by this artist, deffinately not for everyone. Very odd music that is cool in it's differentness. It has no transition, it's either soft or hardcore, nothing inbetween.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Good stuff. It's classic rock that was an early form of metal. Simple guitar strokes prove you don't need to be filled to the brim with talent to rock out. The simple notes fit together perfectly to produce an excellent sound and then there are insanely impossible solos just to show that they actually have talent.

Alica Cooper - Best of Alice Cooper
Has a select few songs I like. "Poison","Bilion Dollar Babies", and "I'm Eighteen". Great music for a bit of classicness and an intresting and different kind of music. Very diverse and no 2 songs sound the same. it's rare for a band to produce music without a signature sound to it. I consider it good because most albums from artists seem very redundant and repetative. This changes up, don't like this song? go to the next track.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:20 AM

Ratt - Out Of The Cellar

Poison - Open Up Ans Say...Ahhh!

Cinderella - Long Cold Winter

David Allen Coe - 17 Greatest Hits

Sir Mix-A-Lot - Swass

Old 04-23-2006, 01:24 AM

nice list 87 turbo II.

its nice to see death cab for cutie at the top of your list..its about time Ben Gibbard got the attention he deserves for his genious melodies. have you gotten into any of his older stuff? you should check out his side project The Postal Service if you havent done so yet, and also take a listen to his solo project that helped get DCFC started, its called All-Time Quarterback. you should also look into the 80's band, The Smiths...Gibbard owes a lot to them for his sound.

System of a Down rocks pretty hard! do you have their self-titled album? its a little less accessible (barely any hooks) but it rocks none-the-less. im not much of a fan of their newer work, i.e. 'Steal This Album'.

props on you listing of 'Paranoid' as well.

"CELEBRATE DIVERSITY"

Old 04-23-2006, 01:30 AM

bkey71: all i can say is that you seem like a big 1980's fan!

are you a fan of Talking Heads, The Smiths, King Crimson, The Stone Roses, My Bloody Valentine, Pixies, Sonic Youth, or The Cure?

haha, and is that Sir-Mix-A-Lot album 'Swass' supposed to stand for sweet ***? hahaha baby got back!

Old 04-23-2006, 09:27 AM

MBV..............wow forgot about them....................Loveless was one of my fav things to listen to back in those days. Gonna have to go get it at ITUNES cause I'm fairly certain that CD got lost along the way.

As far as the 'Mats? What can ya say about them? Would've, should've, could've.
It was unbelievable how such a great songwriter for such a rockin band missed being huge they way they did.
Have to say they put on some incredible shows, even the drunken debacles were a spectacle. And any band that was brave enough to put out a fans bootleg recording of a performance (The **** Hits The Fans) is alright in my book

Old 04-23-2006, 08:25 PM

whats this 'Mats' that you mentioned, bruklinboy?

Quick Reply: Top Five...