Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/off-topic-4/)
-   -   So my dad flipped his car last night..... (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/off-topic-4/so-my-dad-flipped-his-car-last-night-25904/)

bshelley234 02-22-2011 12:58 AM

So my dad flipped his car last night.....

18 Attachment(s)
So last night dad was driving home (way too fast like always) when he hit a patch of ice, spun around, hit the snow bank and flipped his car over 1 and half times... :eek: Luckily he wasn't seriously injured, just a bump on the head, a cut knee and a sore neck. But I thought I'd post some pics that I took of it today....

So this was last night just after it happened... Had ALOT of people stop, but the Sheriff kept the traffic moving. Thats my sis and my dad in the pic and his car upside down. It's a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer; same as a Ford Explorer.
Attachment 5421

This is where the car landed after rolling. It's pretty smashed up....
Attachment 5422

When the car landed the door was miraculously propped open against those trees. Dad said he woulda had a difficult time getting out if it wasn't open like that....
Attachment 5423

Dad said he felt the car start to slip as he rounded the turn, then he held on as it spun around backwards. The next thing he knew he was dangling upside down in his seat by his seat belt... The car was still running so he turned it off.
Attachment 5424

I still can't quite figure out how the door ended up propped open like that; the doors were locked he said.... Haha, my truck in the background.
Attachment 5425

Door looked like it was in OK shape.
Attachment 5426

Inside the car. The rear widow busted out so thats how the snow got in there.
Attachment 5427

The back of the roof got pushed in. Haha, the lights still work.
Attachment 5428

Car ended up taking out about a dozen little pines...
Attachment 5429

Front end was pretty smashed up...
Attachment 5430

Drive train looks alright, it ran when it flipped. I wonder if we flipped it back over if it would drive?....
Attachment 5431

It looked really bad from the road.....
Attachment 5432

Has new tires and just replaced the ball joints... Bummer.....
Attachment 5433

We still are having issues with the towing company, so its still sitting there like that...
Attachment 5434

Veiw from road. Rolled down into the ditch.
Attachment 5435

Path the car rolled down.
Attachment 5436

Broken mirror.
https://i1126.photobucket.com/albums.../Photo0530.jpg

Car had 144,000 miles on it. I guess we got some good life out of it...
Attachment 5437

Where it landed. And where it still sits....
Attachment 5438

So the towing company at first said they wouldn't tow it because its upside down. So we said that we'd flip it back over for them, but then they said they couldn't tow it at all. So we called another company and they said they'd get it first thing in the morning. Insurance company wasn't any help either. We didn't have collision on it, so they basically said, "We'll pay for the hospital visit, but your on your own with the car..." Oh well, at least he wasn't hurt too bad. No concussion or anything, gave him a tetnus shot just it case.

Mom wants to keep the new tires and the new battery. Do you think we could unbolt those at the scrap yard? I have no idea...

DBSHINKA8 02-22-2011 04:10 PM

Glad he is ok. As far as the things you want to keep go, its your vehicle, so its your choice. You can keep any of it that you want.

lnwlf 02-22-2011 05:06 PM

bum deal, glad nobody was hurt

bshelley234 02-22-2011 09:07 PM

Ya, I'm really glad he was alright also, :). But since we weren't happy with the scrapyard's offer ($300), we listed it on craigslist just to see what would happen. Ha, the phone started ringing off the hook! Most people when they learned that it was still upside down in the ditch said, "Oh, well nvm..." But we finally got a buyer for $500. He's going to tow it himself and we're keeping the tires, alloys, and the new battery. Not a bad deal I think, ;). I'll post pics of the tow and better pics of the damage tomorrow, :D.

,Brian

P.S.- Sry about all the pics to those with low bandwidth....

virgin1 02-23-2011 03:38 AM

Sorry to hear, glad no one seriously injured. Maybe dad will learn to slow down a bit when there is bad weather now???

I worked for Jeep in the '80's. I didn't know that much about 4/all wheel drives when I first started but found it amazing how many 4WD owners thought they were invincible in there cars because of it.
It's true they offer better traction in a straight line on the slippery stuff, but they also tend to understeer pretty badly and certainly brakes are brakes, so they can't slow down or stop any better than a 2WD does either.
We had many new owners that would go off the road and wreck during their first experiences in the slippery stuff.

2WD, 4WD, or AWD... you still need to be careful no matter what.

bshelley234 02-27-2011 12:41 AM

20 Attachment(s)
Here's some more pics of the tow and the damage. I'm surprised it wasn't damaged more! Sry about all the pics, I'm just like that, lol.

Still laying there after 3 days....
Attachment 5401
Attachment 5402

Attachment 5403
Attachment 5404

We hooked up a chain to the pass. side front and rear axles and used a winch to pull it upright.
Attachment 5405

After we pulled it right-side up.
Attachment 5406

Driver window was completely smashed in and filled with snow and I think half a tree...
Attachment 5407

Rear roof smashed in pretty bad... Hatch wont open anymore... lol
Attachment 5408
Attachment 5409

Driver's side door didn't close anymore...
Attachment 5410
Attachment 5411

Side winch on Tow truck, pretty heavy duty.
Attachment 5412

We hooked up a chain to the front and pulled it up to the road. It leaked most of its oil out and the exhaust was plugged, prolly not good to drive it out... lol
Attachment 5413
Attachment 5414

Got it up onto the truck.
Attachment 5415

Unloaded it at Meineke in Broomfield.
Attachment 5416

We cleaned out all our junk and got it ready for the salvage yard.
Attachment 5417
Attachment 5418

Roof caved in a bit.
Attachment 5419

Guy finally came, paid us $500, and hauled it off. Ha, the guy didn't realize you can't tow an AWD on two wheels and he didn't have another trailer, so he took out the drive shaft. I couldn't help but laugh at the guy a bit... He's just starting up a salvage business apparently. Oh well, his money's good, lol.
Attachment 5420

bshelley234 03-07-2011 02:00 AM

10 Attachment(s)
So idk if anybody was curious, but dad bought a new-ish car a couple days ago. He got a 2002 Ford Explorer. Pretty much the same thing he had before, but its a V6 this time (he's already complaining about it, big down grade from the 302... :rolleyes:). But I think he got a pretty good deal on it; 105,000 miles, leather heated seats, 4x4, 6 cd changer, etc. etc. (lol) for $6900. Not too bad I'd say, :). But here's a few pics of it.

We were laughing at how he picked out exactly the same car, :D.

Attachment 5389
Attachment 5390
Attachment 5391

That's my dad.
Attachment 5392
Attachment 5393

Pretty nice inside, :cool:.
Attachment 5394
Attachment 5395
Attachment 5396
Attachment 5397
Attachment 5398

Sry, crappy pics... It'll need new tires soon and a new battery, but he sure likes it, ;). Hopefully this one won't end up in a ditch!!!!!! :eek:

bshelley234 03-08-2011 12:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Feels like I'm dragging this thread out, but I passed another flipped over vehicle on the way to school today. Dodge Dakota this time. Won't people learn!!!!! :confused:

Attachment 5382
Attachment 5383
Attachment 5384

bshelley234 03-14-2011 12:06 AM

20 Attachment(s)
OH MY F***ING GOSH!!!! I simply can't believe it!!!!! He did it again; DAD FLIPPED HIS NEW CAR THIS MORNING!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it when he called.... He fortunately wasn't driving super fast this time, but still!! Luckily again he wasn't injured (besides his pride); I'm guessing its because he was heading to church..... That doesn't make up for the insurance hikes tho! Counting mom's wreck in Boulder last summer, me being 19, and both of dad's roll over accidents, we're going to be paying a ridiculous amount now....

So he was driving to church when he rounded a corner a little too fast in the snow (got 4" last night), started sliding, and went off on the right side of the road. Again, he had to turn off the car and unbuckle himself while hanging there, but this time the door wasn't conveniently propped open like last time, so he was stuck in there for a few mins.... Luckily a passerby saw him on the side of the road and was able to open the back hatch and let him out; those doors are heavy!!! Here's the pics, again there's lots of them....

Again, he went off on Highway 7, within 10 miles of home....
Attachment 5361

I suppose the only way to explain why he tipped over that way is that his wheels on the passenger side went up the embankment there.
Attachment 5362
Attachment 5363

Luckily we (me, mom, dad, and the two tow truck guys) we're able to push the vehicle upright again without a winch.
Attachment 5364
Attachment 5365
Attachment 5366

On his way off the road, he hit a big rock and snapped the tie rod. It's made of aluminum of course...
Attachment 5367

Luckily the car wasn't damaged hardly at all, it was just a slow tip over....
Attachment 5368
Attachment 5369

Some scuff marks on the side, but we don't think its totaled....
Attachment 5370

No broken glass either.
Attachment 5371

Once it was upright, it was pretty easy to winch up onto the flat bed.
Attachment 5372
Attachment 5373

Dad grabbing some stuff out of the car with my lil bro.
Attachment 5374

The drivers side door doesn't open....
Attachment 5375

Getting it up on the tow truck.
Attachment 5376
Attachment 5377

This is where he went off.
Attachment 5378

Haha, Nathan was imagining what it was like to be driving the car when it happened.... lol
Attachment 5379

We think this is the rock that broke the tie rod.
Attachment 5380

Well, besides the fact that he has to dish out $500 for the deductible on it, the super high insurance rates, and facing the humiliation of flipping two cars in less than a month... He's doing great!!!

I guess this one did end up in a ditch...

virgin1 03-14-2011 06:14 PM

First of all, what broke is not the tie rod end. The tie rod end is what you have your hand on in pic #7. What actually broke, and is made of cast aluminum, is what it connects to. The spindle or spindle plate in this case.

Second, cars, even SUV's don't just roll over unless you are doing something stupid or unsafe for conditions. Your Dad, IMO, needs to learn a thing or two about the high center of gravity associated with SUV's , trucks and 4WD vehicles in general. It seems to me that he's a terrible, and terribly irresponsible driver. Of course I'm basing that solely on what you have posted here.