Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

New Job

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Default New Job

I am in the market for a job I actually like (retail is starting to really wear on me) and I have always thought dealing cars would be cool. Took a ride down to my local Mazda dealer the other day just to see what they had in the slightly used department (I do this about every three months or so), and while I was talking to the sales guy, I figured what the hell, and asked if they were hiring. Sure enough,t hey are looking to fill a couple full-time sales positions! So, I am calling the big boss this morning to see if I might be able to come in for an interview and start the application process! I'm psyched!!!

Anyone here deal cars, and if so, any tips or words of advice?

Old 03-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Default RE: New Job

Cool i hope you get the job, good luck

Old 03-31-2006, 02:01 PM

HAHAHA! I just got back from my "informational interview." I sooooo start in two weeks!!!! I haven't stopped smiling yet!!!

Old 03-31-2006, 02:21 PM

Congrats, how much you make? You could help mr buy my turbo

Old 03-31-2006, 03:13 PM

I've been told it is extrememly competitive. Browse the lot a bunch and ask anyone looking in windows if they need help. They say on slow months you would kill a co-worker for a sale, and on fast months you're all giving high fives. Be competitive, no one's your friend.

Old 03-31-2006, 04:28 PM

Just be honest with the people looking at the cars, everyone is a potential sale that walks onto the lot. Dont sucker people into buying the car just to make the commission, be honest with them about the car, the good/bad of it.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:46 PM

Congrats on the new job! I know the pay can depend on what type of dealer they are. For example, if the dealer is a "one low price" for everyone...or if the sticker price is negotiable where "haggling" takes place. The pay depends if the job is full commission or straight salary no matter how much is sold.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:50 AM

The pay structure is a salary plus commission, but the salary part kinda blows. I think it is enough to cover benefits and basic life needs. It will be enough to get me through training, but it is a pretty hefty pay cut from the position I have now. On the other hand, it is a job that I am much more excited about, and I have always performed better in one-on-one situations with customers, regardless of what I am selling. Oh, and the earning potential at this particular dealer is ridiculous! My commission percentage is huge - I keep thinking I must have heard it wrong, but I swear I didn't!!! I'm going to ask one more time when I go in for my drug test on Monday just to make sure.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:52 AM

Having a job you're happy with is much better than a job with higher pay and no happyness. Good lcuk and have fun with that. I want to do the same thing but they don't let 16y/os sell cars.

Old 04-01-2006, 02:27 AM

Good for you

You should watch this hilarious but intense Comedy , you just got to !!! if you haven't already have .... most cars salesmen have
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0199054/

Also to equip you with what the buyer will have equiped himself with www.carbuyingtips.com there's lots to read , but lots to learn for us buyers . So if it's good for us ; it's good for ya

Break a leg

Quick Reply: New Job