Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Having a baby

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Your daughter is a robot??? Couldn't they just replace some chips then. You could even turn her into a son!! New programming required.

Seriously now, I'm not sure I fully understand? I'll put it into mechanical terms: You mean she had an overactive check valve (not opening when it should have) that was not letting the pee pass out? Or is it more internal than that, like when an evaporative fuel system gets saturated?

Old 07-18-2010, 11:32 AM

Years ago I dated (and almost married) a young woman with this same issue, unfortunately they didn't have this kind of surgery available back in the 1950s, or even the diagnostic tools to figure out what was wrong with her. By the time we met she'd been in and out of Mayo Clinic often enough to have been on a first name basis with most of the doctors and interns there. When she was a teenager they finally figured out what her issue was, but not before the top third of each kidney had suffered irrepairable damage and been rendered effectively non-functioning.

Given the huge advances in surgical procedures since that time, I trust your daughter will not suffer the same fate. Give her a hug for all of us.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:36 PM

What exactly it is, the ureter comes from the kidney, and enters the bladder through the bladder wall. When it enters the bladder wall it creates a one way valve. The problem "VESICOURETERAL REFLUX" is when the ureters does not enter the bladder far enough to create a good strong valve.

So in turn, when there is pressure build up or release urine is able to back up into the kidneys. Which is not bad except for the fear of infection, when the urinary tract gets an infection, it is capable of infecting the kidneys, which we all know is not a good thing.

But with the advances in medical technology, they now have robotic surgery, where they make minimal inscisions and go in with robotic tools to fix the problem. Which in my daughters case was to make the tube longer to create a good strong valve.

I have probably bored you enough, but for more info this is the link to a video that my daughters doctor made about the robotic surgery.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLJ5jD7a_9o

Old 07-18-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by apbbnbanb_07
What exactly it is, the ureter comes from the kidney, and enters the bladder through the bladder wall. When it enters the bladder wall it creates a one way valve. The problem "VESICOURETERAL REFLUX" is when the ureters does not enter the bladder far enough to create a good strong valve.

So in turn, when there is pressure build up or release urine is able to back up into the kidneys. Which is not bad except for the fear of infection, when the urinary tract gets an infection, it is capable of infecting the kidneys, which we all know is not a good thing.

But with the advances in medical technology, they now have robotic surgery, where they make minimal inscisions and go in with robotic tools to fix the problem. Which in my daughters case was to make the tube longer to create a good strong valve.

I have probably bored you enough, but for more info this is the link to a video that my daughters doctor made about the robotic surgery.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLJ5jD7a_9o
Trust me, I'm not bored, especially as I have a personal connection to an adult (now in her fifties) with this very issue and on more than one occasion found myself carrying her bodily out of a building somewhere in Chicago and hailing a cab to the hospital. In her case it didn't take me long to figure out that her body scent changed a couple of hours before an infection got bad enough for her the start feeling ill. Given that she had/has a standing order for antibiotics, I was often able to warn her in time to prevent anything much more serious than a mild fever. She's now married and her husband has also learned to sense the warning signs of infection and as such, her last trip to the emergency room was back in the late 1980s.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by apbbnbanb_07
I apoligize, she had urethral reflux, not rare but most kids grow out of it.
It's where the urine is not being held with the valve in the ureter, and it backs up into the kidneys.

Simple surgery, she stayed one night, and is back home and doing well.
It's amazing what robobtic surgery will do.

Good to hear she's doing good, I couldnt imagine having to take my little one in for surgery for anything.

Also yes ill be putting some pictures up

Old 07-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

What he said, Alex.....

Old 07-24-2010, 01:29 PM
VB

Congrats. I admit, when I first saw this thread, I was scared the author might be Jaimie.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

HA!!! That's funny. 'Wish I had thought of it first. You would say that.
Welcome back, Vince!! Welcome back......

Old 07-24-2010, 09:27 PM
VB

I might lurk around a bit more these days...gave up the idea of getting a Focus soon. YGPM.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

I HATE IT when SPAMMERs steal and repost my posts. F*cking Spam-Bots, and from India too!!

GOOD-BYE, SPAMMER!!!! (I love doing that. )

Last edited by virgin1; 07-31-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Having a baby