Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Get off the phone!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Default Get off the phone!

Anyone else getting fed up seeing people driving erratically only to see that they're on the phone? Just had a guy wander into my lane AGAIN! and scare the c--p out of me! Read in paper the other day government talking of increasing spot fine to £90 but I'm not convinced that it'll make any difference at all.

Have found this site http://www.g2mtechnologies.com who reckon to have a product called bizprotect that stops a phone being used completely when the vehicle is moving over a certain speed, other that emergency call. It says it needs no hardware and it can tell if you are a driver or passenger. No price, but it's only software - I wonder why there isn't a push to use something like this to stop people phoning and texting, instead of fining them after the event.

Anyone got one? Anyone have an opinion? Be interested to hear.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

This is and has been a HUGE concern of mine for a long time now. But its not about phone usage alone. It's about people not realizing or caring whether or not they are distracted when driving. I'm convinced most people don't even realize how distracted they are. If it isn't the phone, its a loud stereo, GPS or video system. I saw one guy driving a Mitsu Eclipse conv holding his Smart phone up above the windshield while driving because it was clear he was watching a video... at 65 mph!!

We need to train people and have them take it seriously. We need to change the thinking that surrounds this recent phenomenon.

As I see it, the reason there hasn't been more done by the governments is that these huge communication conglomerations have more money and political clout to stop legislation like this that might potentially hurt their business. They care nothing about the people that get hurt in the process.

The average person in the world today is being played for a sucker... and they are buying it... paying for the privilege to the tune of $100+ a month for one multi-functioned (so-called) smart phone!! If they are so smart why can't they detect that you should not be using them in certain situations?
Its time to stop the insanity, people. Turn down your stereos and shut off your smart phones while driving... or you may as well be driving drunk. Several studies have suggested that being distracted while driving is equal to or greater to driving after a kegger, or drinking an entire bottle of wine yourself.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Banned
Talking

Originally Posted by virgin1
I'm convinced most people don't even realize how distracted they are. If it isn't the phone, its a loud stereo, GPS or video system.
That's me! I've had loud stereos in all my vehicles. My eyes are trained for watching cops and because of that my eyes are trained to look ahead a few cars all the time. I am very aware of what is going on around me. I have adapted and used to it. I don't sing along or jump around in my seat! Just love the Bass. Can't turn it up like that at home! I like to enjoy my driving.

Attached Thumbnails Get off the phone!-imnotdeaf.jpg   Get off the phone!-stopsign.jpg  

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 07-03-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Pics
Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

What I really like are those that put two 15"er's in their trunk and never insulate the trunk, deck lid or license plate so that they don't vibrate. As a car following them all you here is BbbbRRRrumph, BbbbRRRrrrrumph, as everything just flaps around.

I used to listen to my car stereo regularly too, often loudly, but traffic and people were different then. They were better trained to be aware of their surroundings and certainly had fewer internal as well as external distractions.
I now find that it takes most of my concentration just to keep and eye out for the other driver who is not paying attention, in addition to more traffic on the roads than ever before.

On that subject, I love the newer Acura commercial we've been seeing here that says something like (paraphrasing): Life is getting more complicated, but the technology of our new Acura ___ will simplify things.
Every time I see that commercial I have to wonder what moron wrote those lines. It's the technology that was supposed to simplify our lives that has made our lives MORE complicated. Adding more technology to it will not solve the problem.

Last edited by virgin1; 07-04-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Banned
Wink

Originally Posted by virgin1
What I really like are those that put two 15"er's in their trunk and never insulate the trunk, deck lid or license plate so that they don't vibrate. As a car following them all you here is BbbbRRRrumph, BbbbRRRrrrrumph, as everything just flaps around.
Your spot on again! I have 2 15" Subs in the back of my Wagon. I don't like the rattling either. You wouldn't believe all the stuff I had to do to stop car rattling! Silicone licence plate, insulate rear hatch and cover with carpet, spray foam insulation in the roof! Now it sounds great!

Old 07-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

With my MIL in the car one day when she was visiting us, we came upon a Dodge Charger that had 22"-24" DUB wheels and some big freakin' power in the back. Every time the bass hit, you could literally see the deck lid push up from the SPL being produced and no where for them to go. The license plate vibrated so much you could hardly read it. You could hear the bass/vibration several cars away with the windows closed.
It was so silly, and I'll bet the driver/owner thought he was being so cool.

Here's a hint people: You may like your own music, but others don't want to hear it. They don't care, except as an annoyance and distraction.