Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

7 Years After 9/11

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Default 7 Years After 9/11

Not to begin a political flame-war here, but today it's been 7 yrs since the 9/11 hijackings. The seventh anniversary.
Do you remember where you were when you heard?
What you were doing?
What you thought at the time?

Tell us your thoughts and answers to these questions.

Being the OP, I'll begin:

I was @ work when we heard that a "small" plane hit one of the towers. We wereexceptionally busy that Tuesdaymorning andhad little time to think about it too much. Originally we had heard ofthe "event" on the radio which had little info @ the time. So we thought a small craft somehow got off-course and that would be that. Little did we know....

By the end ofmy work day, all the Managers were up in our break room watching the TV, and w/o surprise, were all in shock. Though some of them hadcome into our department during the day to give us little tidbits and updates as they were known or believed, I still could not fathom the extent or viciousness of what had justhappened. I could not believe there were people in the world that were this insane and on such a large scale.

For the next 3 daysmy wife and Iwatched Peter Jennings (now deceased.RIP Peter,) as it was one of the few channels in our area still broadcasting and he seemed to have the most complete and up to date information. We watched and recorded as the details of the event unfolded. We were all shocked. We still have the tapes.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Default RE: 7 Years After 9/11

i remmber exactly wat i was doin.. i was in the 7th grade at that time.. i was sitting in my shop class bored as hell.. i had the window seat that over looked the highway goin towards manhattan, so i was just day dreaming lookin out the window.. then i see 15-20 police cars roaring by speeding as if theyre running from something.. or running towards............

during the day we heard similar stories.. plane crash on the wtc.. then we started hearing more.. ne1 hoo had a cell phone at that time wasnt able to make or receive ne calls.. we knew it was terrorists by this time and we were assuming we were under total attack. lol we thought they took down the cell phone towers, the buildings, we heard the statue of liberty was hit too as well as the pentagon and white house.. so much commotion.. after we got out, we learned the trains were all shut down. there was no way for me to get home now.. me and my cuzin rushed to my friends house hoo lived a block away from school and we saw on the news how terrorists had hit the wtc and the pentagon.. it was surreal.. watching the news was like i was watching some action movie.. but i wasnt happy with it..

i was stranded at school.. i had no way to get home.. luckily my cuzin was with me and we were able to get to his house just by bus. the rest of the day we were watching the news in shock and horror.. how could some1 do this? ESPECIALLY in the name of the same god i believe in... theyre not true muslims.. theyre not humans as far as im concerned..

Old 09-11-2008, 05:17 PM
VB

Speedy, are you sure? I was in 7th grade at the time...I thought you were older.

Anyway. Not to be a jackass, but I have nothing to do with the "Remembrance" anymore. It makes me sick every year to see all these sad souls paying tribute...only to bicker over what's going to happen to the grounds. Move on people, we've been through a lot in this city...build a small memorial and revive the WTC.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

I have a hard time believing in the/a God most humans do.There are too many wars started and to many stupid senseless things like this done in the name of God/Ala, etc....
I understand your frustration w/this too Vince. Politicians turn these things into opportunities... political opportunities that are not consistent w/the meaning of what happened. And not just 9/11 either.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:39 PM
VB

I've been an agnostic myself for a while. I'm just so sick of 9/11...maybe, living in this city, I'm a cynic already.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:18 PM

I was listening to sports talk radio (much talk about Shaq's arthritic big toe), initial report was a side newsnote, a plane hit the WTC, implied tone was it was a small plane, nothing serious.Then the sports talk suddenly stopped, real news people took over, but they didn't know a damn thing. Recall watching TV, the internethad stopped working, sinking feeling watching tower 1 crumble, it was then that I realized the magnitude of it. No commercial planes in the air for several days afterward, only occasional military, so strange.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:44 PM

I was on my way out the door heading for work when the phone rang. Went back to answer it and it was one of my wife's girlfriends who asked if I had the TV on - - - I said no I was just leaving and she said "Turn it on. New York City is being attacked." I clicked on the tv just as the first tower came down and just stood there speechless. My wife came in and asked what was going on and we both just sort of collapsed onto the sofa in front of the tv and I never made it work that day. I had seen the World Trade Center a few years before and had been so impressed with the magnitude of it. To imagine it coming down was almost more than I could comprehend. There were heroes that day and there were bad guys. We should never forget either one.

rolomac