New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Noob from Chicago area!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Exclamation Noob from Chicago area!

I'm going to be picking up a 1990 Mazda B2200 extended cab with a 5 speed in a few weeks from some relatives who no longer want it, so I just wanted to gauge the community and see if I could find some resources for when I start the resto/build...
I have owned 2 3rd generation Honda Preludes, and am getting the truck to drive during the winters so the 'Lude doesn't rust out, at least for the time being or until I decide to do something ridiculous with it.
I am a member of several Prelude forums/clubs, and am pretty active in a few other general clubs in the area
I live in the Western Chicago suburbs, so if you're in the area and want to cruise PM me!

So far I'm not too clear on what I want to do to the truck eventually...
I've had a few suggestions thrown at me having to do with 13B Turbo swaps, etc, but currently I'm mostly just thinking in terms of tune-up and some power adding...
Possibly an F2T or FI swap sometime, just because i like to have over 100 hp at my disposal but I don't really know much about anything Mazda, as I'm normally a Honda guy.

So anyway that's me, and I'll be around a lot more within the next month when I get the thing home and start tearing it apart.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:21 AM

ok I've finally started working on this thing, and I'd like to set up a build thread...
is there a designated section here that I didn't see, or would i just do that in the trucks section....?

Old 09-30-2010, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

Hey "skater!" Sorry I missed your initial post way back when, but Welcome to Mazdaforum now!!
Are you a Cubbie or a White Sox fan??
Just set up a thread in the trucks section. That'll be fine. I see you've already found the "garage."

The rotary engine doesn't really offer enough torque for most trucks. Mazda tried that in their mini-truck back in the late '70's and while coveted now for their exclusivity and uniqueness they did not go over very well then... or as a serious work truck either.
Rotary's are a high-revving hp monsters w/torque as an after thought. Plus they do not offer the best mpg's either. To me, that would be a lot of work w/a disappointing outcome.