New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Newb is looking for purchase advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 02:01 PM
Question Newb is looking for purchase advice.

Hi all!

I am looking to buy CX-9 Signature from 2020 or so and I found one online with advertised price of $36k (2020, 18k miles). I contacted the dealer and asked for the out of the door price. The price became $42k, but, wait, it now includes: reconditioning fee of $1,500 and accessories package for $1,595. So, they are clearly pulling a quick on by feeding me with $3k of stuff I do not need. This is a used car and if you really-really want to detail it, then $200 is all it takes.

This is the first time I am looking to purchase from a dealer, hence the questions:

1. How do CX-9 hold up the market value in real life, not just going by the prices on cars.com and such?

2. What is realistic and a good discount to get from a dealer on average? I'm in TX, if that matters.

3. Any other tips/tricks on negotiating with a dealer?

Thanks so much!

Old 12-14-2022, 02:55 PM

Welcome to the forum

Old 12-16-2022, 10:35 AM

The price seems high. A month ago I purchased a basic 2023 Touring in dark blue w/ black for $37.5. Its well equipped, full new car warranty, AWD, Sunroof, captain's chairs, etc.
Not as fancy as the one your looking at but a good buy.
Also over KBB on my trade in a Ford Edge.
Love the car,
Good Luck

Old 12-16-2022, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Hud1964
The price seems high. A month ago I purchased a basic 2023 Touring in dark blue w/ black for $37.5. Its well equipped, full new car warranty, AWD, Sunroof, captain's chairs, etc.
Not as fancy as the one your looking at but a good buy.
Also over KBB on my trade in a Ford Edge.
Love the car,
Good Luck
Congrats! It does seem high, I agree, other dealers sell cheaper comparable cars. On a trade in they jammed me by $5-$6k. I'm not optimistic we'll come to an understanding with this kind of a dealer

Old 12-16-2022, 10:53 AM
Default Cx-9

First dealer I went to offered $5k under KBB, (the old I have 15 of them on my lot and nobody wants a Ford), the second offered $500 over KBB, a $5000 difference for driving 20 miles.
While 'no chips', 'no new cars' may have been true a 6-12 months ago, today I think it's a scam and is being over played by the dealers.
I have 4-5 Mazda dealers in town and perhaps that makes them more willing to negotiate.

Old 12-16-2022, 12:42 PM

First dealer I went to offered $5k under KBB, (the old I have 15 of them on my lot and nobody wants a Ford), the second offered $500 over KBB, a $5000 difference for driving 20 miles.
While 'no chips', 'no new cars' may have been true a 6-12 months ago, today I think it's a scam and is being over played by the dealers.
I have 4-5 Mazda dealers in town and perhaps that makes them more willing to negotiate.
Sorry, what do you mean by: "While 'no chips', 'no new cars' may have been true a 6-12 months ago, today I think it's a scam and is being over played by the dealers."?

Old 12-16-2022, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by alexjust
Sorry, what do you mean by: "While 'no chips', 'no new cars' may have been true a 6-12 months ago, today I think it's a scam and is being over played by the dealers."?
He does not know how the Automotive manufacturing approved Dealership sales business are run. Lots of speculating and assumptions on his part.

Old 12-16-2022, 01:03 PM

By chips I'm referring to computer chips which were said to be short supply and the reason given for many recent price hikes.

Old 12-16-2022, 01:15 PM

By chips I'm referring to computer chips which were said to be short supply and the reason given for many recent price hikes.
They are..... and if we don't start generating other none Asian(I am being none political) companies to manufacture them again it may get worst in the upcoming years.
I have already purchased NEW back up ECUs for all of my currently owned vehicles. Just in case!

Old 12-16-2022, 01:28 PM

Callisto - I never claimed to know how dealership sales departments are 'run', however I, as many others, do take issue with the business practices' of many of them.
I do know that there are well over 100 2023 CX-9's in town and if you live in an area with multiple dealers you can save significant $$ by planning and negotiating.
Please tell me what speculation and assumptions I am throwing out that you find so offensive.

Quick Reply: Newb is looking for purchase advice.