New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

new subaru owner. oh noes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Default new subaru owner. oh noes!

hey everyone. my name is desiree. i'm currently the owner of a 2006 wrx. my boyfriend just recently sold his SRT-4 and bought a 1990 miata.

i dont have any pictures that i took of it yet since we're not picking it up until tomorrow but here are the pics from the ad:

the car is a 1990 and only has 72k miles on it! i'm basically just here to learn more about the miatas. i'm not TOO familiar with mazda's but my mom had an 06 speed6 so i'm not completely in the dark.

and just for fun, here is my subie:

Name:  022.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  41.3 KB
(autocrossing- subaru challenge)

Name:  IMG_2005.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  84.4 KB

thanks for reading

Old 05-06-2009, 10:21 PM

Welcome! Very nice WRX. Big change going from SRT-4 to Miata anyway good luck with the new car.
Vince

Old 05-07-2009, 06:08 AM

thanks! & yeah its a weird choice going from an srt to the miata but i think its a good one. the leftover money from the sale of it was going to go towards schooling anyway so at least its for a good cause. the miata is overall cheaper & more reasonable. cheaper gas, better mileage, cheaper insurance. etc.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:31 AM

Nice looking car!
I don't like the background much though; sand, salt water and cars are a bad,bad mix.
A friend of mine had a WRX, loved it, but sold it after a couple of years, said he was fed up not being able to get it past third gear. When I asked whether the trouble was motor, clutch, or transmission, he said none of the above, they were all perfect; the trouble was the #@@$%& speed limits!

On your Miata, did you get it it's service history? Was it inspected?
At 75K, the things to watch for are clutch and timing belt; they should be OK for at least 100K miles though, and both give plenty of warning of "impending doom". Anyway, even if they fail "ungracefully", on Mazdas neither cause any chain reaction problems.
Another point which you have to know concerns the on-board diagnostics (OBD).
The older cars don't have the standard OBD-II diagnostics protocol. The applicable protocol spec. is stuck on a label on the underside of the hood. You really have little choice except to go to a Mazda dealer for a reliable readout even though it's not free. It's worth doing since you don't know the car yet. Make sure to ask for a hard copy of the readout too. That way if you do have issues to sort out, you can post the diagnostics results on this forum and we can steer you in the right direction, avoiding spending $$$$$ on replacing stuff that doesn't need replacing (or worse still, being persuaded that your car's a dog not worth fixing and you should buy a xxxxx (where xxxxx is anything they want to move off their lot).

One final point; if you have mandatory vehicle emission inspections in your jurisdiction, be sure you and the inpection station know the rules to play by.
Cars of your vintage have to be tested (a) with equipment compatible with the OBD spec. of your car (or by using an exhaust gas analyzer), and (b) the emission limits applicable to older cars are not as stringent as those which apply to the more modern OBD-II equipped ones, so don't accept a fail without question.

Happy ZOOM ZOOMS.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:05 AM

hey thanks for the info.

i'm in FL so we dont have emissions testing or anything like that. as far as the clutch & timing belt, etc. my dad is a mechanic and owns an autobody shop. he's been in the business for 35+ years so he did an inspection on it. if anything we can always take it to a local mazda dealer though in the future.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Nice! What did the Subie dyno at?

Yeah, upon first reading the OP I too thought the Miata might be a let down, at least in power, to the SRT-4. But it will be a completely different experience for him I'm sure.
Sports cars can be fun, if you don't have a lot of responsibilities and don't need the room.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:12 PM

she dyno'd at 241 WHP & 272 WTQ

Old 05-07-2009, 05:07 PM
VB

Those flat 4's are torquey, huh? LOVE the Scooby, ya got good taste. If I had the cash I'd get one myself.

Those're some pretty good numbers, I'd imagine that's a brisk WRX...but I'll do you one better: http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-eng...-fq-400-a.html

That Evo belongs to a close friend of mine. It's currently not tuned, but the last dyno was around 500HP/470TQ. Will definitely be better on the next one in the summer. Now that will push you back a few feet.