New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

New San Diego noob

Old 02-07-2009, 04:07 AM
Talking New San Diego noob

What's up gang!

Name's Jesse, I'm the noobiest noob from San Diego.

I've been an auto-enthusiast since before I was licensed, and have owned far more cars than anybody my age should have.

In the interest of keeping this fairly brief, I'll just cover the ones I own now.

First up is the Mazda

1989 MX-6 GT

This isn't what it looks like, just a quick photochop to plan it out. It's currently a very oxidized red/pink on 929 mesh wheels. This is the 3rd turbo GD chassis Mazda I've owned, and will probably end up doing autocross duty. The last one I owned which received basic mods dynoed ~200whp & 300ft/lbs @ 4900rpm. The 2.2t engine makes a lot of torque, which is great if you like breaking drivelines

If I have time to get some work done on it soon, it might end up in the SD Grand Challenge alongside project #2...

1972 Datsun 521

This is being built for this competition:
http://www.sdgrandchallenge.com

If you've never tried budget racing, and are in the SoCal area, I would highly recommend you check it out, this is the most fun I've ever had with a build.

Yes, it'll actually be built for $1000 or less, and it will be boosted. Hoping for 7s in the 1/8th mile out of it. If you like watching very slow tedious budget builds you can watch the entire project get pieced together over on the SD Grand Challenge forum.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder

It's completely stock much to the dismay of my DSM owning buddies. Mostly just a weekend cruiser/loaner to the girlfriend.

1994 Accord EX

First Honda in the family, purchased by my girlfriend. Came with a ref'd H22A swap, unfortunately it also came with an autotragic slushbox. It'll get a 5spd conversion as soon as I find the time.

That's it for now, hopefully I've adequately conveyed my unbiased love for all things automotive. I'm looking forward to learning from the more experienced folks here, glad to be aboard!

Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

LOVE the screen name, however living in the South these days mine would be Duct Tape Racer.
Hey! Welcome aboard ziptieracer!!
I love and was shopping for just such an MX-6 some time age. I didn't really care if it was boosted or not, just that it was in good condition and had a 5-sp... and preferably a moon roof too. I like and could live with that body style for a DD. Alas, it never came to be for me.
I also have fond memories of the 521's! My older bro's friend had one and beat the crap out of it for years in the construction business. Though after a couple of years it looked like hell it always came back for more. I later owned one of the earlier ('68) 520 series, though I really wanted a '70-'72 521.

Last edited by virgin1; 02-08-2009 at 08:45 AM.