New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

new, conducting research.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 07:06 AM
Lightbulb new, conducting research.

Hello, I'm a newcomer to the forum.

I'm currently conducting research on Mazda KF 2.0L V6 engines.

If anyone has relevant information, please feel free to share.

My primary focus at the moment is determining whether the crank is forged or cast. Despite various online sources claiming it's forged, upon closer inspection, it appears to be cast.
Any insights on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

application;
  1. Mazda MX-3
  2. Mazda 626 (GD chassis)
  3. Mazda MX-6 (1st generation)

Old 02-12-2024, 10:14 AM

welcome to the forum.

There is conflicting information, but it looks like the supportive information is a cast crank?

Are you building a performance engine?

Old 02-12-2024, 10:20 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I am presently engaged in an internship at a race engine builder, and my current project involves the development of an engine built for motorsport applications.
In essence, indeed it will be a racing engine.

I would appreciate it if you could share the sources that led you to this conclusion. Thank you.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by corridoras
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I am presently engaged in an internship at a race engine builder, and my current project involves the development of an engine built for motorsport applications.
In essence, indeed it will be a racing engine.

I would appreciate it if you could share the sources that led you to this conclusion. Thank you.
Then you should know unless you physically have an engine to examine the engineering specification for material used on most production engine is not really readily available. I simply did the logical approach and looked at the models offering that engine. None IMO based on being a Performance Engine builder would necessarily require the use of a forged crank which would increase the retail cost of the vehicle.. The other key point is auto manufacture tend to "BRAG" in advertising when an engine does use a forged crank.
I would also do more Q&A with your instructor as to the necessity of a forged crank and if it is really needed for the engine estimated power you are building the engine? Surprisingly power measure at the crank level and what a cast crank properly machined can handle comparing a forged crank. I would guess unless you are supercharging or Turbocharging using high boost levels or with Nitrous a forged crank is not necessary. But this is where you need to do your math and power figure estimates and formals based on common knowledge power formulas of basic engine designs.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:31 AM

Thank you for providing such a comprehensive response. Indeed, the engine build will feature turbocharging. Your reply has offered me valuable insights, and I appreciate your assistance.

Old 02-15-2024, 12:07 AM

Welcome aboard

Last edited by ganthercage; 02-15-2024 at 10:39 AM.