Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   New 323 owner from tijuana (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/new-323-owner-tijuana-30930/)

323fromtijuana 01-30-2013 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin (Post 135222)
I'm saying whatever your stock size is, increase it by 1/4" diameter across. Increasing it more than that is just: stupid, stipid, stupeed, stewpide, stupide. If you had a V8 engine then 1/2" bigger would be fine, but you hace a 4 cylinder!

A small restrictive pipe would immediately fill with exhaust, and move at a considerable velocity, but excess gas would be left behind, which in the worst case scenario would actually remain in the combustion chamber and mix with the incoming fresh air, reducing power.
A large pipe would immediately absorb all the exhaust volume, but drop velocity to the extent that scavenging doesn't occur. Exhaust would still flow out, but would not be as efficent as it could be.
If the piping size is just right, the velocity is high enough so that it creates a suction effect at the cylinder head, and literarly sucks the exhaust out of the cylinder. This makes it easier for the piston to move up, and recovers a good amount of previously wasted energy."
"modifying the catback or mufflers will provide little or no gain, because all of the restriction is further upstream. This is verified by dyno's, as no one besides the various exhaust manufacturers have shown any gain whatsoever with any of the available catbacks on the market. (on owner dynos).
If anything, some of the catbacks are actually reducing overall power, because they're slowing down what little exhaust velocity there is, by the time it gets done going through the twists and honeycombs of doom."

For more great info from a famous mazda internet guru click here: Exhaust Technology (Sizing/Velocity) - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
That guy only made 11,747 posts, his name is Crossbow

Here is another great article from Magnaflow: MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust - FAQ, Frequently Asked Questions
Quote from Magnaflow: "To reduce additional backpressure, the OEM exhaust tubing can be replaced with mandrel-bent tubing of the same size or one size up from the OEM. As a general rule, you can enlarge the pipe diameter of your OEM exhaust system by 1/4 to 1/2 inch to increase your horsepower. However, any additional increase in pipe diameter is likely to decrease your performance; specifically, low end torque."

good info thanks a lot

323fromtijuana 01-30-2013 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege (Post 135211)
232fromtijuana:

I am not experienced in upgrades. It's all theory with me. But here is information on upgrading on the Protege. The 323 is the precursor of the Protege.

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...pgrade+protege

By the way it is not necessary to upgrade a car to have fun at an autocross. An autocross novice like myself has no chance to find the limits of a regular car. It takes some auto crossing to get there.

Great info on that thread thanks

323fromtijuana 01-31-2013 09:19 AM

I'm trying to add some mudflaps does anyone know if the protégé from the 93 came with mudflaps and will they fit the 323?

323fromtijuana 04-11-2013 12:50 AM

17 Attachment(s)
So haven't been here in a while mf members but money is tight with family thats why i posted it was gonna be a slow process, but enough of excuses. So my wife daughter and I went to pasco wa in march so I challenge my self to have it ready for the trip and drive it to pasco so here are the updates before the trip. First I started with a complete tune up sparck plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, all fluids including trans, breaks, filters, ect etc
So after that complete tune up car ran like champ no leaks no over heating no problems at all so I was happy. So after car going back to perfect running conditions it was time to start working on exterior. An uncle of mines told me he knew a little about spray painting, so that was good enough for me since I was on a budget to save as much possible for the trip so car went into yard for a couple of days here are the pics
Car going in:
Attachment 4507
Putting car on jack stands because I was gonna change spring to drop it 1.8 according to this lotek springs
Attachment 4508
Startef taking things off while uncle did some bond work
Attachment 4509
Guy behind the paint job gotta give him his credit
Attachment 4510
Bond and sanding
Attachment 4511
Attachment 4512
Attachment 4513
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4b45262d.jpg
Attachment 4514
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/...psc0b3c4e2.jpg
Attachment 4515
Stock prings
Attachment 4516
Attachment 4517
Pictures before show lotek springs (red)
After all the work. not the best but a lot bettet than before pictures are during the trip

Attachment 4518
Attachment 4519
My uncle went crazy painting the car and painted bumper trims so I sprayed them black
Attachment 4520
Attachment 4521
My steering wheel was trash mussing chunks so took this off from sone old rx7
Attachment 4522
And the girl who got me this car my wife
Attachment 4523

Next plans swapping seats I'll probably get some from honda and swap the rails since Im sure I wont find any gtx seats under $100 already looking for a bp engine to take home and rebuild it slowly with some cash I put aside from every paycheck and other things I can't thing of at the moment but I'll try to update more often even small updates let me know what you'll thing good or bad I respect all comments and know we can't all thing the same sorry again for spelling/grammar English is my second lenguage and there's no spanish mazda 323 forums

Kevinkpk 04-11-2013 07:55 AM

Good for you!

tanprotege 04-11-2013 08:49 AM

You guys transformed this car!

Lindo, lindo!