New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

My first Mazda! Protoge5 with Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Default My first Mazda! Protoge5 with Cold Air Intake

The filter is sort of not connected to anything, im scared that its flapping around in there while im driving my 5-speed 02 Protoge5. Is there anyway to secure it without messing anything up?

EDIT:

Problem resolved thanks to UseYourNoggin, i got a brand new tubing system and airfilter and connected both sensors at the appropriate places. I also have a it secured in the air using some high quality metal stands that still can absorb road shocks. I am now waiting on my new tubing system to go down from UNDER the hood (unlike my old ****ty filter that was unsuspended and collected hot engine air) so i get actual COLD air. hope this thread helped anyone else.

Last edited by Kino; 07-05-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Banned
Question Pics

Need Pics!

Attached Thumbnails My first Mazda! Protoge5 with Cold Air Intake-threadneedspic.jpg   My first Mazda! Protoge5 with Cold Air Intake-homersimpsondonutbrain.jpg   My first Mazda! Protoge5 with Cold Air Intake-imagescaesn6a1.jpg  
Old 07-03-2012, 10:44 AM

it wont let ive tried a bunch of times...i either says that i exceeded the word limit or just saves and nothing happens

Old 07-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Banned
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Kino
The filter is sort of not connected to anything, im scared that its flapping around in there while im driving my 5-speed 02 Protoge5. Is there anyway to secure it without messing anything up?

As you can see there is a big "X" where your pic is supposed to be. I saw it in the general "Photo" area but it is too small. Your air filter is in a bad spot and definitely NOT a COLD AIR INTAKE as you are sucking in the hot air from behind the RAD. You should find a better area for it.
Check Mine out, it is isolated from the hot air and sealed to the hood as it gets at colder air. Mine is an SRI that is a CAI (best of both worlds---it isn't pretty but it works!). Mine also is resting on the separation baffle with weatherstripping and/or carpet, insulation.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 07-03-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:54 PM

Oh i see!!! perfect! ill move it as soon as i get out of and get some cold air in that baby! thank you so me, me a and my 5 speed baby appreciate it ~

Old 07-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Banned

MORE PICS: I made it out of alum 1/8" or 3/16" with also alum angle, bolted to car frame on that side of car. Mine is a Mazda 6 though
It's not pretty, but works great!

Attached Thumbnails My first Mazda! Protoge5 with Cold Air Intake-k-n_sri%3Dcai3.jpg   My first Mazda! Protoge5 with Cold Air Intake-k-n_sri%3Dcai4.jpg   My first Mazda! Protoge5 with Cold Air Intake-k-n_sri%3Dcai5.jpg   My first Mazda! Protoge5 with Cold Air Intake-k-n_sri%3Dcai6.jpg   My first Mazda! Protoge5 with Cold Air Intake-k-n_sri%3Dcai8.jpg  

Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Talking thanks to your advice I:

just got a brand new tubing and air filter for the cold intake ! youre right, i was collecting hot air. so i got it mounted with some steel tubing and ive got tubes running from below the hood to get that sweet sweet cold air!!

here it is, and the rest of the pics!

Attached Thumbnails My first Mazda! Protoge5 with Cold Air Intake-photo-3-1-.jpg   My first Mazda! Protoge5 with Cold Air Intake-photo-1.jpg   My first Mazda! Protoge5 with Cold Air Intake-photo-2.jpg  
Old 07-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Banned

Just make sure you don't get too much water splashing up from the wheels going thru puddles!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Default My Cold air intake with the insulation!

ill be putting the last piece of tubing that goes under the hood sometime soon!

Attached Thumbnails My first Mazda! Protoge5 with Cold Air Intake-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Banned

Very innovative. How does it work?

Quick Reply: My first Mazda! Protoge5 with Cold Air Intake