New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Mazda Newbie - MX6 and proud of it

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Default Mazda Newbie - MX6 and proud of it

Howdy to All - I'm a first time Mazda owner - 1991 MX-6 - mileage 286,000 plus. Car bought new by a relative, so I have most maintenance records, original bill of sale and window sticker. It's a rust belt car, so there is minor rusting and clear coat is gone with some of the paint. But this is one of the happiest cars I have ever owned. Everything on it works except the radio and graphic equalizer LED displays. I've had it about a month, it gets 37 mpg with 5-speed. Relative bought new pickup truck, was offered $100 for it on trade. Who could blame the dealer, really? But their loss is my treasure. She sold it to me for $100 and when I picked it up, she had filled the tank, so actual cost was about $60.00. After driving it 300 miles home, I was even happier. It has had regular maintenance in it's previous life, and I am a dedicated Lucas Oil Stabilizer user, along with very regular 2,000-3,000 mile oil changes. It does not smoke, but does have the beginnings of oil seepage from the valve cover. The only problem I found in a very thorough inspection was a missing hold down screw for the speedometer cable, which probably was not tightened properly during a check on transaxle fluid somewhere in the past. If anyone knows what size screw this is, please let me know. I will post this on the tech forum as well. I cannot believe the steady speed the cruise control holds, especially in the upper ranges of the Ozarks in Missouri where I live. It does not lose or gain 1 mph going up, down, or sideways. Where I live there are more dirt and gravel roads than paved, we are far into the sticks. In fact, it is rumored that United Parcel Service delivers the cell phone signals out here. It is a delight on the backroads, it is a delight on the highway, and it is one of my favorite cars I've owned. I initially bought it because it was cheap, and relative has beaten it like a red-headed step-child all it's life, and it survived. It was even assaulted in the passenger side quarter by a horny deer once upon a time. But this is one tough little customer, and it's moved up to be the first line family car, because it's so much fun to drive. Thanks for having a forum, and looking forward to getting information and acquaintances through these boards.