New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Mazda 6 Timing Chain - advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 09:32 AM
Default Mazda 6 Timing Chain - advice needed.

Hi I am new here and after some advice - Hope I am using the system the right way.

My Mazda 6 2.2 Diesel has a flashing DPF light, took it to the dealer as suggested in handbook and they say it needs a new timing chain, although the chain itself is not an item that is replaced in any service. Its an expensive fix - £1600, its a 2011 car (estate) with only 80k miles, so the repair is over half the value of the car, consequently I keen to make sure its needed before I go ahead- the dealer I took it to has only recently taken over a mazda franchise.

A bit of search has thrown up that there may have been a recall and an issue with these chains. I have not had this recall although I have had the car from new and had it serviced at Mazda dealers as per service schedule. There seems to be some doubt as to whether there was a recall or not. I have also read about drivers who have had the chain replaced but still get the flashing dpf light. The car drives fine does not have a particular rattle in the engine, so I am wondering if the computer readout that suggests this issue could be wrong. The engine oil level is also higher than full which can I understand be something to do with the DPF.

Also I guess its unlikely that a chain will snap but having had a Mitsubishi where the belt went and ruined the engine, I am wary of driving the car until I have sorted it - does anyone know if a slack chain causes significant engine damage?

Any advice or knowledge of similar issues would be appreciated.