New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

how to replace fan belt for alternator

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:56 AM
Default how to replace fan belt for alternator

my fan belt always has squeking sound whenever i turn on my headlights and when i step on the brakes, i noticed that the belt are loosen. i try to do some adjustments but after a while the squeking sound comes back again. i'm planning to replace the fan belt but i dont know how to remove the belt from the power steering and AC compressor, so i can replace the fan belt of the alternator. hope you could help me on this. thanks

Old 04-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Default RE: how to replace fan belt for alternator

No idea what car you are driving, but the belt would be held in place 1 of 2 ways

1) Idler pulley - there would be a single pulley that the belt wraps around as it's going through it's path that attaches to the engine block and is able to swivel. This pulley is spring loaded and keeps tension on the belt. Simply put a socket or wrench on the bolt head of that pulley and rotate the pulley away from the belt (this should loosen the tension on the belt). Pull the belt out and replace. Make sure to draw yourself a diagram of all of the pulleys and the belt routing before you pull the belt. It can be difficult sometimes to remember how it snakes around.

or

2) Tension via accessory. - i.e. one of the accessories (alternator, etc) that are driven off of the belt provide the tension. You would be able to tell this by the accessory having 2 attachment points(1 hole and 1 slot) to hold the accessory in position. The bolt provides a pivot, and the slot allows you to rotate the accessory tight against the belt, so to remove the belt, you would loosen the bolt in the slot (slot could be either on the accessory or on the bracket it attaches to) and rotate the accessory to loosen the tension. You don't need the belt overly tight, but you don't want it slapping around either.

Most likely you have scenario #1.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:17 PM

Thanks,

By the way my car is a 94 Mazda 323 Astina, but can you intruct me how could i take out the belt from the compressor and the power steering. I cannot replace the belt from alternator without taking it out.
Again thanks, your a big help.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:51 PM

Here is a diagram of your belt and pulley set up that should match. You will want to loosen the bolts labeled A, B, and C. Thebolt labeledA is the P/Spump pivot bolt and is behind the pulley. You can access this bolt byrotating the pulley untillone of the holes in the pulley will allow youto get a socket on the bolt head. All should be 14mm.Bolt D is the one that applies and relieves tension on the drive belt. Rotate the bolt counterclockwise to relieve tension and remove the belt. Turn clockwise after installing new belt and applying tension.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/CE4C0C1D5DDF4C149ACFC507F865C9B0.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-19-2007, 10:20 PM

Thanks,

just for clarification, should i just loosen bolt B and D to release the tension of the pulley? anyway will try all the options you mentioned here.

Thanks a lot men, youre surely is a big help.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:10 AM

In theory that would work just fine but have found that the P/S pump is very difficult to rotate down and release belt tension without loosening the other two bolts as well. Can try it you want to though.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:06 PM

Thanks men, finally did it all work out fine thanks to your help. anyway can you give me an idea on how could i know orhow can i measureif I have the right tension on the belt? appreciate your help.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:08 PM

Correct belt tension varies from car to car kiko. A good general rule of thumb is that if you should not be able to twist the belt more than 90 degrees at the midpoint of the longest belt span between pulleys.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by babyhuey
Here is a diagram of your belt and pulley set up that should match. You will want to loosen the bolts labeled A, B, and C. Thebolt labeledA is the P/Spump pivot bolt and is behind the pulley. You can access this bolt byrotating the pulley untillone of the holes in the pulley will allow youto get a socket on the bolt head. All should be 14mm.Bolt D is the one that applies and relieves tension on the drive belt. Rotate the bolt counterclockwise to relieve tension and remove the belt. Turn clockwise after installing new belt and applying tension.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/CE4C0C1D5DDF4C149ACFC507F865C9B0.gif[/IMG]
I am having the same problem getting the front belt off a 1999 mazda 323 1.5 - would love to be able to see the diagram to see which bolts I should be loosening to get the from belt off o I can replace the alternator belt!
Thanks
Allie

Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 PM

Me, too. Need instructions for 2003 Protege belt (both)replacement. Would like to hire my friend's son (currently unemployed) and don't want to run into problem.
A diagram or link to one would be great. Appreciate details already shared; will apply. Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply: how to replace fan belt for alternator