New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Ffemt6

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:16 PM

You are much more an expert virgin1 than I am or will ever be. The comment you made about cell phones a while back is my philosophy as well. I have never liked my wife to talk on hers and drive, but unfortunately, as soon as she gets in her car she pulls out the cell. I wasn't even thinking about this when I decided to buy the manual, but it is an added benefit and gives me more peace of mind knowing she can't use her cell as conveniently as in her car. I only hope she doesn't try. I too have seen some crazy driver reactions while using a cell phone. I drive a fire truck for a living, and those drivers with phones in hand are usually the ones that take forever to move out of our way when we need to get somewhere in a hurry. Or the cell phone user involved in the car accident may be the reason for our dispatch in the first place. Don't even get me started about texting and driving.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

What a DUMB-*** I am!! NOW I understand what your user name is all about. I've been trying to figure that out, but now it makes complete sense.

Would you believe... my wife refuses to wear a seat belt? One of the simplest, oldest safety devices in the car and easiest thing you can do to help protect yourself in case of an accident.
It's SO frustrating. She simply won't listen to reason!!
But she doesn't use a cellphone... at least.

Texting! Ahhh, yes......

Old 08-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Default You said it not me

Virgin1,

I absolutely HATE to hear you tell me that your wife will not wear her seatbelt. If God forbid anything ever happens, there is a very good chance she won't be around to hear you say I told you so. If she saw what I have seen and continue to see of auto accident aftermath, the seatbelt would be the first thing she grabbed when entering the car. SRS systems, no matter how advanced can't do the job alone. The first fatality accident consisted of a young man in 2000 Nissan Maxima who you guessed it was not wearing his seatbelt. He was going at a high rate of speed, lost control and rolled his car multiple times. Well he was halfway ejected mid roll, before being fully ejected from the vehicle and his arm was amputated and abdomen eviscerated. That was the first gory scene I was apart of after joining the fire department in 2002. We also found a childs car seat still seatbelted in the vehicle, but fortunately the child was not with him at the time of the wreck. I am sure she has heard it a million times, but you are far safer inside your vehicle. I have also seen more than once people ejected and crushed under their own car. I could not condone my spouse not wearing her seatbelt. I would not drive anywhere with her unbelted. I hope my words and experiences may help her situation in this regard. There used to be a video on a website called filecabi that had a guy that was ejected and crushed in a car accident that wasn't wearing his seatbelt. There was actually a driver cam inside his vehicle and the footage is amazing and tragic.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

I hate it too, believe me!! But she simply won't listen to reason. Her mother is the same way. They refuse to give up the old story of getting trapped in a wrecked or burning car. STUBBORN AND STUPID!! (Boy, is she ever stubborn!!)

My mother bought a brand new 1964 Dodge Dart when I was very young (about 6 or 7 I guess.) To that point it was the first car I had ever seen with seat belts. And except for my first car 10yrs later, a '57 Chevy that never came with them (and I never got the chance to install some before I got t-boned in it,) I have been wearing seat belts religiously ever since. I think Chrysler was the first American car company to install belts as std equip?
If the race drivers won't leave the starting grid w/o them, and companies like Volvo have been installing them as std equip since the '50's, there must be a good reason for them.
Heck, even my '65 Volvo 1800S had 3-point belts factory installed, and that was not their first year with them!! Americans were just catching on to lap belts by then.

I know too that the safest place in an accident is inside the vehicle. My parents best friend's had a young daughter in a hurry, helping a friend w/her marriage plans, be ejected from the car in an accident. She was not wearing a belt and did not survive. She was a beautiful and fun person that had her life cut short for no good reason.

I am totally with you, Man!!

Old 08-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Red face

Originally Posted by virgin1

What a DUMB-*** I am!! NOW I understand what your user name is all about. I've been trying to figure that out, but now it makes complete sense.

Would you believe... my wife refuses to wear a seat belt? One of the simplest, oldest safety devices in the car and easiest thing you can do to help protect yourself in case of an accident.
It's SO frustrating. She simply won't listen to reason!!
But she doesn't use a cellphone... at least.

Texting! Ahhh, yes......
I know seat belts are a pain in the a** but they do save lives, I can't believe she hasn't gotten ticketed yet for it or maybe she has. Here in Fl. since they inacted the click or ticket rule I have made it a point to wear it because it is very costly if you don't

Old 08-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

We have the same law. I am embarassed that I can't convince her otherwise, but as I'd said, she is one of the most stubborn people I have ever met... and I've met a few in my 52 yrs.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:56 PM

FFEMT6, are you with Knoxville or Rural Metro?
As for the seat belts, my own life was saved by 1 in 1979 when I rolled my Plymouth drag racing and in 1980 when my friend rolled his car, the girl in the back seat was thrown out and although she didn't die, there were 2 or 3 times she was real close, Nobody else was injured very badly at all.
Heck, I sometimes even where the Seat belt in the Bobcat.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1
I hate it too, believe me!! But she simply won't listen to reason. Her mother is the same way. They refuse to give up the old story of getting trapped in a wrecked or burning car. STUBBORN AND STUPID!! (Boy, is she ever stubborn!!)

My mother bought a brand new 1964 Dodge Dart when I was very young (about 6 or 7 I guess.) To that point it was the first car I had ever seen with seat belts. And except for my first car 10yrs later, a '57 Chevy that never came with them (and I never got the chance to install some before I got t-boned in it,) I have been wearing seat belts religiously ever since. I think Chrysler was the first American car company to install belts as std equip?
If the race drivers won't leave the starting grid w/o them, and companies like Volvo have been installing them as std equip since the '50's, there must be a good reason for them.
Heck, even my '65 Volvo 1800S had 3-point belts factory installed, and that was not their first year with them!! Americans were just catching on to lap belts by then.

I know too that the safest place in an accident is inside the vehicle. My parents best friend's had a young daughter in a hurry, helping a friend w/her marriage plans, be ejected from the car in an accident. She was not wearing a belt and did not survive. She was a beautiful and fun person that had her life cut short for no good reason.

I am totally with you, Man!!
Virgin1,
I am sorry to hear about your parents friends daughter. You raise some very good points. Just because your wife refuses now, don't ever stop telling her to wear her seatbelt. If she refuses because of her fear of being trapped in a fire, buy her a rescue tool. They make a combo that has a glass break, a seatbelt cutter, and some even have a light built in. My wife bought me one and it made me feel like she really did care. It would be a great gift idea. If she is pinned in the car or trapped, wearing a seatbelt truly won't change the situation any.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Siber Express
FFEMT6, are you with Knoxville or Rural Metro?
As for the seat belts, my own life was saved by 1 in 1979 when I rolled my Plymouth drag racing and in 1980 when my friend rolled his car, the girl in the back seat was thrown out and although she didn't die, there were 2 or 3 times she was real close, Nobody else was injured very badly at all.
Heck, I sometimes even where the Seat belt in the Bobcat.

Siber Express,

Sorry it has taken me so long to answer your question. I am with Rural Metro. I have been with them since 2002. I have loved every minute of it so far. Of course there are things that you would rather not see on a daily basis, but it comes with the job. Are you also with a Fire Dept. Ever since seeing your "He who dies with the most toys" quote, I have been telling quite a few people about it. I think it's a great quote, and brings a realistic approach to success. How long have you lived in Clinton. I am from Miami. I lived there 23 years, got married and moved to Memphis for 6 because my mother grew up there and we were trying to get to know that side of the family. I was a full time banker and part time EMT with Rural Metro in Memphis trying to get on with the fire dept. Rural Metro expanded their department in 2002 and I was fortunate enough to test and get hired after a 6 week accelerated academy. It's a little more peaceful out in Clinton isn't it? By the way, that is a very nice 3.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:52 AM

Hey! I am also new to the forum and Mazda! hehe, when I was little, I told my dad I wanted my first official car to be a Mazda. That didn't happen, I got a BMW x5 instead, but it was never officially mine because I was always in trouble so my mom would always go: GIVE ME YOUR KEYS!!! But then, here I am now, with the Mazda6 all to myself. YAY! I love it so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!<3

Welcome to the forum!! This seems fun.