New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Dry Rot on Tires- 2018 Mazda CX5

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 10:58 AM
Exclamation Dry Rot on Tires- 2018 Mazda CX5

I recently purchased a 2018 Mazda CX 5 as a certified pre-owned vehicle and noticed there was dry rot on all for of the Yokohama tires that came on the car. These tires by the way are installed on the vehicle through manufacturing. These tires are 2/3 years old and have dry rot on them. I showed 3 mechanics and took it to the mazda dealer I bought the car from. All of them said there was dry rot, but mazda stated it was not significant enough to replace them under warranty. All 3 mechanics told me any dry rot is a safety concern because they could blow out at any time. Any suggestions on how to get these tires replaced for free because Yokohama told me they were under warranty, but since I did not purchase the tires and they were already on the car when I bought it, the warranty does not transfer over. The mazda dealer said they cannot do anything because the dry rot is not significant enough, but it is a certified pre-owned vehicle, that should have been addressed before selling the car, amI right?

I look forward to everyones feedback.

Last edited by cholowiak; 11-24-2020 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Added to title
Old 11-24-2020, 12:55 PM

[size=13px]Mechanic's[/size] seldom have long training and [size=13px]experience[/size] with tires nor really do service departments in dealerships. I suggest to look for a retail outlet in your city and state that sells Yokohama and have them look at them!

The information on your tire does not show any re-calls or high degree of complaints about premature side wall weathering! At least that I can find that is legitimate information source.

The chances that all 4 tires were manufactured on the same date are slim and NONE. Get the date codes on the side wall!
From there we can see exactly how long each one has been around and possibly even if they were manufactured in more then one location?

This subject comes up dozens of time through the history of many vehicle forums. It is almost NEVER a defect in the tire and more how the tire was treated! In the few cases that someone was "lucky" and got a replacement had more to do with performing a customer satisfaction service then an actual warranty because of defective manufacturing cause dry rot> BTW the definition of dry is as follows
LOL
Dry Rot :a decay of seasoned timber, resulting in its becoming brittle and crumbling to a dry powder, caused by various fungi. any of various diseases of plants in which the rotted tissues are dry.

Now if you mean :
Tire dry rot is also known as sidewall cracking. As the term suggests, dry rot is primarily characterized by cracks in the tire rubber. ... Advanced dry rot can cause small cracks on the outside edges of your tiretread. These cracks can affect your car's handling, even if your tread still has adequate depth overall

Old 11-24-2020, 12:57 PM

all tires were made at the same time, all dot numbers r the same and dates r the same. cracks r on all tires (dry rot). They were looked at by 3 mechanics and the dealer. all said the same thing.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by cholowiak
I recently purchased a 2018 Mazda CX 5 as a certified pre-owned vehicle .......... tires are 2/3 years old and have "tire dry rot " on them. .
If the MAZDA sat for a length of time on a lot with underinflated tires it is possible why all 4 have the same physicals condition. Or if they were routinely dressed with something that started to react to the compound material of the tire and cause them to begin to crack. Neither is a warranted item form MAZDA or the tire manufacture.
This is something your should have discussed with the person or place before you purchased the MAZDA!

Last edited by Callisto; 11-24-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:05 PM

that is the problem, only checked the tread for depth not for cracks bc it was a certified pre owned, so with that said everything should have been addressed before that. Tires that are two yrs old should not have dry rot, it should happen after 5-6 years that is normal. The tires r only 2-3 years old. there is something wrong if they thought dry rot on tires was a good thing to keep on the tires after I purchased and noticed it.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:12 PM

all tires were made at the same time, all dot numbers r the same and dates r the same. cracks r on all tires (dry rot). They were looked at by 3 mechanics and the dealer. all said the same thing.
Ok well I raise you and call your hand.... let me see the tires manufacturing information of each tire. LOL You know the odds of what you just stated? lol

And perhaps you didn't catch what I suggested about experience training regarding tires? lol

I am not aware there is any testing that mentions beyond anything except alignments and general wear information that most get to be a "mechanic" and almost none to work as a service advisor or even a MAZDA Trained Technician. Now in some companies that sell mostly tires like Tire Rack many offer a certification training that covers things like Tire Dry Rot!
BTW Tire Rack sells Yok's so maybe your should give them a chat about your tires

Old 11-24-2020, 01:17 PM

also, when mazda checked the dry rot they said it was not significant enough to replace them, well of course they would say that bc they do not want to replace them. The mechanics i dealt with said any dry rot is bad, they would not even drive on them, so what does that say about the condition of the cracking on my tires.

also, spoke to tirerack funny enough an they told me that any dry rot on a tire is not safe to drive on. they also said it should not have dry rot until 5 years in. any manufacture of a tire should replace the tire. furthermore, my car is being serviced now so i cant prove the tire info but be rest assure if 4 mechanics check them and all told me the same thing, there is an issue.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:19 PM

that is the problem, only checked the tread for depth not for cracks bc it was a certified pre owned, so with that said everything should have been addressed before that. Tires that are two yrs old should not have dry rot, it should happen after 5-6 years that is normal. The tires r only 2-3 years old. there is something wrong if they thought dry rot on tires was a good thing to keep on the tires after I purchased and noticed it.
Where in the world do you get these dates from???

Tire Dry Rot can happen on a tire in a single season! Or NEVER at all. In 99.9% if tires are cleaned once in a while and the proper air pressure they can go for decades with out Tire Dry Rot.

I am not sure but most certified inspection sheet have a 4 or 5 point rating system for each item looked at. Tires it is generally the tread wear and not the cosmetic appearance that is rated? But here again it is something as a buyer you should have looked at when your were "kicking" the tire" deciding to buy the MAZDA or not! lol

Old 11-24-2020, 01:30 PM

The dates i got from all the mechanics that checked the tires including the mazda mechanic. are u saying that they are wrong? lol

Old 11-24-2020, 01:31 PM

also, when mazda checked the dry rot they said it was not significant enough to replace them, well of course they would say that bc they do not want to replace them. The mechanics i dealt with said any dry rot is bad, they would not even drive on them, so what does that say about the condition of the cracking on my tires.

also, spoke to tirerack funny enough an they told me that any dry rot on a tire is not safe to drive on. they also said it should not have dry rot until 5 years in. any manufacture of a tire should replace the tire. furthermore, my car is being serviced now so i cant prove the tire info but be rest assure if 4 mechanics check them and all told me the same thing, there is an issue.

ROLMAO ok well good luck I can't keep up with what you say was told to you what was actually told to you and what you interpreted was told to you. LOL
There really is to much of what you have post as not exactly real world information...

Quick Reply: Dry Rot on Tires- 2018 Mazda CX5