New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

Decisions, Decisions... First Mazda!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Default Decisions, Decisions... First Mazda!?

Well I just graduated this past week and I wasn't even thinking about graduation gifts because I haven't been rewarded for grades in the past, but when my mom mentioned it I immediately started getting ideas!

I currently drive a 1993 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L 5-SPD which was purchased stock and now sits on 33" tires under a 4.5" lift, locked w/ aftermarket bumpers and a sweet sound system. Unfortunately I am starting a job in about a week which is located about 20 some-odd miles away and I'm guaranteed to hit rush hour every evening which takes about an hour to get home. In short... a topless lifted Jeep on the highway in the morning and during rush-hour in the evening is not very comfortable and is definitely not practical in anyway.

My first thoughts were directed towards a Saab 93 or a Volvo S40 but I quickly found out that they were a little out of my price range, hehe... maybe one day. My friend has an 06 Jetta which I really like, it is the 2.5 model and has most of the basic features, save the added mp3/cd changer option, which I would REALLY like in my next car.

Anyways... I've seen a lot of Mazdas around lately and there is a dealer really close to my house so last night I drove over and took a Mazda 3i out, as well as, a MX-5 Miata 5-SPD. Both were really peppy and smooth, but I have run into a little dilema... I LOVED the fact that the Miata has a retractable softop - it reminds me of the Jeep and I find it easier to drive with the top down. On the other hand, the 3 series is much more practical for driving around with friends and stuff. I think if I went with the 3 series, I would have to go with the S model rather than the I, and reguardless which I get, I would like the MP3/CD changer option, but I'm sort of confused with the audio options. Is the optional BOSE system MP3 capable or do I have to pick the other MP3/CD changer option?

Well... I'm here to be convinced and make a decision, so help me out with your input! Thanks, Brian.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Default RE: Decisions, Decisions... First Mazda!?

Well when you sit in each car ask yourself which one represents you more? The miata is a fun weekend get away have fun car and the Mazda3 is a peppy little package to carry you and your cargo. They're both great cars, I'd get the misata just because I am more of a sports car guy myself but both are really good. If you're using it to go to work each day, you may want the mazda3 if your job has you transporting any cargo. remember you're moving from a Jeep so a sudden loss in cargo area from Jeep to miata could be a little more annoying than you were expecting and also insurance on the roadster is much more, but it's also more fun and sexier. there are ways to debate and balance it out forever but all in all.
I'd take the miata, but the Mazda3 seems like it would work better with you.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:37 AM
Default RE: Decisions, Decisions... First Mazda!?

i just recently got the 3 s grand touring. it's wonderful & i got the bose 7 speaker/moonroof package.. however, it's not mp3 readable.. you might have to get the actual mp3 option.

also, i owned the 02 jetta 1.8t for 4 years, and i was sad that i finally got rid of it. my mom just got the the 06 jetta three weeks ago & it's such a nice ride, isn't it? i suggest that if you want a nice car with high comfort level (also a very low maintenance *thumbs up*) to go w/ the vw. but if you want a fun, zippy type of car.. get the 3.

i don't know if i've been of any help, but reply back if you feel the need!