Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   catalytic converters not ready (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/new-member-area-5/catalytic-converters-not-ready-28383/)

leetroy 01-18-2012 06:18 PM

catalytic converters not ready

how long must i drive my mpv van to have the catalytic converters ready. it failed inspection about 5 or six times already.

virgin1 01-19-2012 06:06 AM

It should only take a few minutes, but you're not giving us much info to go on.

How old is the van?
How many miles?
What's been done to the car from a maintenance and repair standpoint?
Are you getting a CEL?
Have you had it since it was new or did you buy it used, etc?
Are you in California, or some other PEZII state?

... 'Total shot in the dark here, but your O2 sensor(s) may be bad giving the PCM a false reading.

You could take the car to a local parts store or repair shop and have them read any trouble codes that may be stored in the PCM?

UseYourNoggin 01-19-2012 09:32 AM

Maybe you have a PCV valve that is stuck open? Maybe it's time to change your plugs? Put in a clean air filter? Do it after an oil change! Clean your throttle body and MAF?

virgin1 01-19-2012 12:57 PM

I think what my friend here is trying to say is that w/o further information, the possibilities are endless.
(An oil/air filter change? REALLY? :D)

UseYourNoggin 01-20-2012 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Found some new info: How to Fix Emissions Problems On a Car | eHow.com (first item is clogged air filter).

Copied and pasted this from: My car failed an emissions test. Now what? — Yahoo! Autos
The best way to improve the odds of passing an emissions test is to maintain your vehicle. A well-maintained engine is usually a clean engine as far as emissions are concerned.
Changing the spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve and oil regularly (or just before an emissions test), checking ignition timing and adjusting the carburetor (if you have an older vehicle) can reduce emissions and greatly improve your chance of passing.
Also, filling up your fuel tank with gasoline that contains 10% ethanol alcohol (many premium grade fuels use alcohol as an octane booster) may help lower your emissions even more. Many areas now have "reformulated" gasoline that contains alcohol or MBTE that adds oxygen to the fuel to reduce carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions.
Just before the test, make sure your vehicle is at normal operating temperature. Take it out for a short spin down the expressway. This will heat up the oxygen sensor and catalytic converter to minimize emissions.

OTHER TIPS: 1) Clean Oil burns cleaner than dirty oil. Yes you should change your oil before an E-test, especially if your car is using oil. Change PCV.
2) Do not turn your car off when you reach the E-test place, leave it running. Tell the person to get you in your vehicle while you wait, revving it up to 2,000 rpm occasionally (the EGR does not work @ idle, they actually test it around 1500 rpm).

I have attached my E-Test after having the car for 5 years.