New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

6 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Default 6 Problems

I've had my automatic (manual shift option) 2004 Mazda 6s for almost a year now. Overall I like the car but I'm having 2 problems out of it that would probably prevent me from buying another one. First, regardless as to whether you're driving in automatic or manual the car doesn't shift smoothly at all...especially when shifting down into first. I can't slow down to come up to a traffic light/stop sign. I have to physically hit the brake to stop the car before it does the horrible "jump" into first gear. I was wondering if anyone else has had that problem. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because I assumed that they would give me the "it's normal" response. Second, I can not keep hyper white headlights or foglights in there. I've tried them all from cheap to expensive. Within the past 9 months I've had to replace about 7 different bulbs. I've recently just put regular headlights back in to see if they were going to blow as well...so far so good.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Default RE: 6 Problems

THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE UTILIZES A SPECIALIZED M RANGE AUTOMATIC SHIFT DIAGRAM. ANY MANUAL
DOWNSHIFTS WHICH PERFORMED ABOVE THE PRESET SPEED OF THE DIGRAM, DOWNSHIFTING IS INHIBITED UNTIL VEHICLE REACHES THE SPEED IT POSSIBLE TO DOWNSHIFT. THIS IS TO PREVENT ENGINE OVER-REV AND REDUCE THE LOAD ON THE
TRANSMISSION. IT NOT WHAT YOU WANTED TO HEAR BUT THAT THE FACT OF THE MATTER. YOU'LL HAVE TO ALTER YOUR
DRIVING HABIT TO ALLOW THE ENGINE BRAKING MORE TIME TO SLOWDOWN.
IF YOUR MZ6 HAS THE 3.0L, THERE IS A PCM REPROGRAM TO IMPROVE 1ST -2ND SHIFT. CHECK WITH A DEALER.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:00 PM

not that this matters to you, but the 2005 Mazda 6 Automatic has a 6 speed tranny, which is supposedly smoother

Old 06-14-2005, 07:12 PM

I had a opportunity to test two 05 MZ6's, using your driving style, got the same results. Have notice that if your speed is too high
for the downshift to occur that digital number of the gear you are in will flash as warning. I tried a few ideas to reduce the shock,
no luck. Talked to MAZDA hotline, the guy hung up on me! Well that not the first time.

Old 06-21-2005, 01:12 PM

there is no way to truely replicate a manual transmission with this kind of shifter

Old 06-23-2005, 11:28 AM

gtextreme, I don't think that I was clear in my first post. I have acidentally tried to shift too soon and the car prevented me from doing so. I realized that it would do that. The problem happens whether I try to manually shift or not. I'm going to give the Mazda dealer a shot next week. I have to get the oil changed so I'm going to give them a list of things to look over. Hopefully they will be able to resolve at least some of the problems for me that it seems a lot of 6 owners are experiencing.