New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

2002 Mazda 323 protege Wirring sound coming from front of motor.?

Old 04-30-2017, 06:32 AM
Smile 2002 Mazda 323 protege Wirring sound coming from front of motor.?

Hi guys, we have a 2002 323 which has been running like clockwork but now developed a wirring sound when you give the accelerator a slight push.
I am a competent repair man with more than enough tools and experience but it is always good to get other opinions from others.
So i am standing at the drivers side front wheel- facing the front of the engine (Australia so right hand drive)
I use my stethoscope to check the external units such as alternator power steering etc for bearing noise but all is well.
At first i thought - timing chain, but browsing your forums it seems i have a toothed belt.
I would like to think that it could be the tensioner to the camshaft chain but my stethoscope is telling me it is further down and i am now thinking it might be an idler pulley.
With the motor idling it is running like a dream.
Have so far never had to touch this car other than services and brake pads.
I am now 67 but still active enough to tackle this, just looking for any advice on what i am tackling lol. thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

To be sure, remove 1 drive belt, check for noise, remove the second belt and re check for noise. if it disappears with the removal of a belt then you know the area to investigate.

If the noise is still present after removal of both belts then it may be cambelt related. You can remove the plastic cambelt covers then investigate further with your stethoscope.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:26 AM

Thanks for that eliminating tip. I will check that out tomorrow. If this turns out to be a job where all covers are to be removed, do you recommend undoing the engine mount and jacking the front of the motor up. Reason i ask is that last year i did a water pump on a toyota camry (1997) and that was one of the hints i was given for better access, and for what effort it took to release that engine mount it gave me so much easier access to the bolts holding the covers on.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Removing the engine mount does help alot.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:11 AM

Havent made a move on this job yet as i decided to get a workshop manual which i found on e bay for $9.50 and i am waiting for it to arrive (in CD form). Will let you know the outcome as soon as i start.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:44 PM

Forgot i had this post open and sorry i havent replied.
The wirring sound was the water pump pulley eating its way into the cover which was broken and bolts had come out.
The other thing i found was that there was no cover at all behind the front wheel when i removed the wheel.
Seems the last person to work on the belts or maybe water pump did a shonky job and left bolts out as well as not putting the cover back in the wheel arch.
I have been driving it around without covers while looking for one getting wrecked so i can get the covers off it.
In the mean time i have another issue with the car sometimes not starting with the turn of the key but after a couple of goes it starts. When it doesnt turn over i hear the click under the bonnet so i have ruled out the ignition switch so i guess its the relay or the starter motor.
Thinking i might just order a new relay seeing as they are not over the top in price and if that doesnt work it will be a new starter motor.