New Member Area New to MF? Stop in tell us about you.

2000 Mazda MPV starter

Old 05-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Default 2000 Mazda MPV starter

I have a 2000 MPV, 6 cyl. I had trouble with the starter, took it out, had it checked at 2 locations (Pep Boys and NAPA), both said the starter was bad. I replaced it, and now, it still does not work. Took the starter back to Pep Boys (NEW starter, not rebuilt), and they benched tested it, it is 13+. Battery is new, I cleaned off the terminals, reconnected the battery cables, and nothing. Lights dimmed, but no crank. I disconnected the positive cable from the starter, purchased a digital voltmeter, put the positive lead to the starter cable and negative to starter body and got 13.8 reading. When I tried to crank it, the negative post was HOT, but the positive was good. I put the positive lead on the battery, and put the negative on the body, and engine block, and it was >12.8, so it seemed to have a good ground. I'm stumped. I went to the library to see if there was a schematic, but no luck. The Mazda dealership won't give me one, and Chilton/Haynes is no help either. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Default RE: 2000 Mazda MPV starter

sound like it could be a bad ground near the starter. i would look around and see if there are any loose wires. there should be a harness about halfway between the relay and the starter and i have had problems there. yours might not have one though. you could also check the flywheel to see if there might be a tooth missing on it. that would explain the bogging down on the electrical system but no turn over. you could get a chain wrench and try to turn the motor manually both ways and see if it will turn both ways. flywheels don't need replaced very often but there is that every now and then.