Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Default Wheel bearing?

Hey guys, need some thought!

The past few days I realized when I start up my car when it is cold and I turn I hear a click click noise, almost like a grinding noise. I just had a break inspection just over 3,000 miles ago. It is also makes this noise when I am stopping. Seems to do it first thing in the morning while it is cold, but as time goes on it seems to do it longer and longer. This morning I looked at it and all my rims are kind of dirty from the recent snow and such, but this front right rim seems to have a dark black substance I am guessing grease all in it and some splattered on the spokes of the rim. Makes me think the wheel bearing is going and that is the grease coming out of it on the rims. It is fine on all of hte other rims. It is much darker then brake dust. I have an appt for monday, but I am in the NE and it seems liek some of the water from the past storm may have gotten in and frozen over night and busted the bearing...What do you guys think? Let me know!

Brandon

Old 02-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Default RE: Wheel bearing?

It sounds like you have a bad CV joint. the boot probly ripped on your outer joint on your axel. when it breaks all the grease from inside there goes all over your rim and fender liner. once that grease is gone water and dirt gets in your joint and will cause a clicking noise when driving. I wouldnt wait too much longer to take it in. I would be very careful while driving because the joint could break, not very likely if you drive normal especially when turning. Good luck

Double D

Old 02-16-2007, 09:14 PM

i dont know about the other issues

but I DO know that the "black substance" is brake dust
i have streaks of dark black as well. and its just the snow slushing up the rim and melting

Old 02-18-2007, 11:34 PM

04maz6. Right on target. I got under the car and there is grease everywhere. I think that is what it is. If it were the wheel bearing the greese wouldn't have squirted everywhere. I have an apt. tomorrow morning at 7 am so I will let you guys know how it goes! Thanks again!

Old 02-19-2007, 04:54 PM

So get this guys! My mechanic that replaced my front pads "supposedly" pushed the brake line done and it rubbed against the CV joint boot, split that wide open, lost all the grease and now I have a bad cv-joint-axle, and a bad break line. It is not driveable. 600 bucks! I am goign to go after my mechanic and ask him to re-imburse me. I tried to get ahold of him to no avail. So I had the mazda dealership order the parts and it will be done on the 23rd. But cant beleive this! It sucks!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:21 PM

I figured that is what it was, I am a technician and I see it all the time. good luck with it, hopefully your mechanic will reinburse you.

Double D

Old 02-20-2007, 11:48 AM

bro in all honesty i think the dealer is bull ****ting you because they dont want to do warranty work. there is a clip specifically for the brake line to hold it in place i dont think it would get anywhere near the cv joint... correct me if im wrong..

Old 02-20-2007, 12:04 PM

If they didn't re-install the line correctly that could definitely happen. You need to prove the damage occurred due to the improper work done....I'd get to taking pictures.....

Old 02-21-2007, 07:31 PM

yea, I have them saving the broken parts for me...so when I go to get it they will show me specifically how it happened...I appreciate all of the help! Thanks guys!

Old 02-22-2007, 04:41 PM

The mechanic should not even have had to remove the brake line from the retainer when he changed the pads. When I change pads, I just set the caliper on an extra jack stand so it's not hanging on the brake line. He probably just let the brake caliper hang from the brake line, which could have pulled it from it's retainer. But if the caliper mounts on the top portion of the rotor (i'm not sure about the location on your vehicle), there wouldn't be enough extra slack for the brake line to go down to the axle joint. Either way, it's most likely the mechanic's fault, but you should get down there and get some pictures before the work is done so you have actual proof of how it looks (if they haven't disassembled yet). Just the old parts may not be enough.