Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Unusual Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Default Unusual Tire Wear

We have a Mazda 6 that is less than a year old, and is having unusual tire wear. The front tires only are wearing on only the outside...we took it to Les Schwab, replaced the bad tires, and they said that it did not need an alignment, so we didn't have one done. Now, a few months later, it is doing the same thing. Heard that it might be shocks or struts??

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Old 03-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Default RE: Unusual Tire Wear

Camber or toe out of alignment could cause that.

Did they actually check the alignment for you? The car could track perfectly straight down the road and still have poor alignment.

I'd have it checked and have them give you the data sheet.

Typically shocks/struts that have worn out will cause the tire to wear in a bumpy pattern (think the tire is bouncing freely down the road with no damping supplied by the struts, you end up with some tread blocks worn more deeply than others and you end up with a vibration.)

Old 03-23-2006, 01:29 AM

yup problably camber! low tire pressure.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:20 AM

caster / camber / toe in-out

what have they not checked ?

I would have them refund me some tires !

Old 03-24-2006, 05:53 AM

ORIGINAL: sstlaure

Camber or toe out of alignment could cause that.

Did they actually check the alignment for you? The car could track perfectly straight down the road and still have poor alignment.

I'd have it checked and have them give you the data sheet.

Typically shocks/struts that have worn out will cause the tire to wear in a bumpy pattern (think the tire is bouncing freely down the road with no damping supplied by the struts, you end up with some tread blocks worn more deeply than others and you end up with a vibration.)

100% correct. The only thing that would cause wear on the outside is the alignment. Unless it's wearing both on the inside and outside, then it's low tire pressure. But, if it's only happening on one side, it's alignment. A shock/strut problem would cause "cupping" in the tread. Take it to a different shop and ask them to check the alignment for you. Or go back to the place you bought your tires from and tell them to actually put it up on the alignment rack and check it again. FREE OF CHARGE. You bought tires from them, so they shouldn't have an issue of doing an alignment CHECK for you for free. Most tire places will do this for you. You just pay for the alignment if it needs one. (Which it sounds like you definitely do need it.)

Old 08-17-2007, 12:32 PM

I have unusual tire wear as well. I have a 2005 Mazda 3 and I replaced the stock tires at 30K miles and put the most expensive Yokohama's available. I am still having cupping on the inside to middle! Grrr. I'm getting an alignment today so we will see.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:58 AM

I am having the same problem. All 4 tires need to be replaced and I bought my car brand new and have just turned over 21,000 miles

Old 12-08-2008, 01:18 PM

I bought a 2008 Mazda3 a year ago. I had my tires rotated at 7471 miles, 15270 miles, 23494 miles. Alignment is perfect (dealer checked). And yet at about 10000 miles, car started making a lot of road noise. It took them a while to figure out what was causing noise. Dealer said tires are wearing from the inside. Here is my question: Will I always get less than half of the wear out of a set of tires on my Mazda3 (which is unacceptable to me and my budget!)? Can the car's camber be adjusted so this won't keep happening? If I get a different type of tire will that prevent it from happening again?My dealer also has had other customers with same problem. I drive on a smooth interstate every day, and my past cars have all gone well beyond manufacturer's guarantee on miles per tire. I think this car has an engineering flaw and Mazda should fix it. I wish I had stuck with Toyota.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:56 PM

My 2007 Mazda 3 (GT) also wore out the Goodyear RSA's at 18K miles. Tires were rotated at every oil change and kept properly inflated. I had a nail in a tire and took it to Goodyear, they showed me that the inner edges were nearly bald and wanted to sell me a new set of the same tires for $1200. I asked the guy why I would be so foolish to spend that much on a set of the same tires that wore out after only 18K of normal driving. I bought a set of Kumho's at another shop for $550 out the door, they ride and handle better than the Goodyears plus have a 30K treadwear warranty. After talking to my Mazda dealer and seeing other opinions online it appears this car is infamous for wearing out tires quickly. The car is leased and it ends soon; that affected the decision to go with a low priced tire (although they get good ratings) and I have not done anything on getting the alignment checked.

Last edited by Mark56; 06-02-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:09 AM

Excessive wear only on the inside edge (a small strip) would most likely be cause by too much toe in.

Quick Reply: Unusual Tire Wear