Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

TIRES!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Default RE: TIRES!!

You know what is a GREAT tire that people totally underestimate? The Hankook K104's are spectacular. (AND they're pretty damn cheap.) Maybe give them a shot if they have them in the size you're looking for.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: MrSpike118

I said mine were good, but just the other day I lost air within weeks on my second tire out of four! So I said #*SFD&* it, Ill break down and get 4 new tires. So after much consideration, and debating on going up to 225/45/R17, I stayed at 215/50/R17 and went with these guys.

Avon Tyres

I got them for only 99 at town fair tire, and they are rated amazing...Had them special ordered, now I got them put on yesterday and on the last rim there was a huge dent and it was crakced on the inside. So now I have 3 brand spankin new tires and infamous small mazda doughnut. ha ha, so it is in my driveway and my gf called a ton of places yesterday while I was at work and found one for 150 bucks, and she will get it monday. SO I cant wait. I doubt mazda would cover the rim since there is a dent on it. Ill let you all know how I like my new tires.
That concerns me. Last week I had a flat tire, I went everywhere to get a tire (cannot believe Mazda put a crappy donut in a 30k car trunk!) and finally found one at Town and Fayre. It cost me 140 bucks all in for a cheap khumo solus to be fitted.

A couple of days later and my new tire was flat. Took it back and they return with my rim showing a big crack on the inner side. I curb my wheels, so the faces are pretty scuffed, but never hit any curbs or drop down potholes so how it got so damaged I don't know.

I could not find a Mazda wheel anywhere and my local dealer wanted 355 for a single wheel. I didn't feel comfortable at T&F so ended up using Sears to buy a whole new set of wheels. What a nightmare.

I did not realize that I could use other size tires on the wheels!

Old 07-10-2006, 05:13 PM

Whoa...it is NEVER recommended that you go with a different size tire than what you currently have unless swapping out all 4 tires. Metric, you did not make a mistake by getting new tires...you should not put a different size on. You should have ordered a new wheel off ebay or something. I'm sure you could have found one at a junk yard or somewhere else for cheaper than $355.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:22 PM

yeah, when I change the other 3 (ill do all 4) ill go for a cheaper size. The new wheels are 17x7.5 though... is that going to cause me an issue? I would have gone the ebay route but time was against me... guess i could ebay my 3 scuffed alloys

Old 07-10-2006, 06:14 PM

Well you can buy new wheels (like going from 16s to 17s) but you'd want a sidewall thickness that makes the outer part of the tire (rubber part) equal to what it was on the 16s so that your speedometer is still calibrated properly. I just don't reccomend buying new different sized tires for the same wheel.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:02 PM

HELP!
I just picked up my new wheels, looks good, the offset must be different from the OEM as the wheels are pretty far out in the arch. The back wheels look REALLY far out. The problem is when i take a hard right turn or hit a bounce, the back drivers wheel is rubbing the tire against the wheel arch... now what?

Old 07-11-2006, 02:10 AM

Easy fx, the new tires are wider so make the wheel wells wider. It's a simple procedure that can be done at your body shop for the cost of 1 hour (body shops charge hourly) and it's called "rolling the fender". The metal of your fender already rolls around inside the wheel well but with a heat gun or hair dryer to heat and soften the metal, you can use the rounded edge of a baseball bat (wheels off car) to finer define that crease of metal as well as push out on the fender slightly. Only problem there is messing up and then needing someone to repair it. Depends if you are a DIY kinda guy are not, either way, it's a simple fix.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:33 AM

My problem though is that:
1. Sears told me the wheels would fit; I made my concerns about offsets crystal clear when ordering.
2. I now have damage to my tire; the arch has rubbed it.
3. I could now have damage to my wheel arch?
4. I do not want Sears rolling any fenders and doubt they would.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:14 AM

I said body shop, Sears probably wouldn't do it. Check to see if sears put on any sapcers between the wheel and brakes. the wheel well si fine, it's be hard to dammage it as the metal is barely touched, and the plastic would go back to it's original position. Another forum had an issue like this and they were also told it would fit. I think they say that just to get money, or they're just saying the bolt pattern lines up. Next time I'd do some measuring yourself. For now, roll the fenders.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:38 AM

I know you said body shop, but I paid Sears a lot of money to get it right, it shouldnt require modification to my car or more cost.

I ended up returning the wheels, pity, they looked pretty good, but they did have some sort of welded in spacer and the offset just wasnt enough. I didnt realise how big an offset the mazda wheel has. I cannot find anything with a reasonable price that is 48mm or more.

Guess I need to swallow the 350 dollar bill and buy one alloy from mazda.

Quick Reply: TIRES!!