Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Default Tire Wear

Could anybody tell me what life span I should get out of new tires on a Mazda 6

Old 06-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Default RE: Tyre Wear

Alot, Ive heard it can go up to 50,000 if rotated and aligned correctly.

If you are not hard on the gas, ATLEAST 35,000 miles

Old 06-11-2006, 09:59 PM

I got 50,000 miles on the factory michelin tires

Old 06-12-2006, 11:34 AM

yeah, about 45,000 to 50,000 if you align them in accordance to the mazda service book. i rotate mine every two months just because i take my wheels off and give them a good cleaning from the inside area of them. that brake dust sucks as well as tar.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:01 PM

do you regularly check your tire preasure? What preasure do you keep it at? At or slightly above factory spec and you should get at least 45-50K with proper rotation. I use 38 up front and 36 in the back. It helps improve my fuel economy and tire wear. The ride quality is not degraded with such a slight increase. Other people use closer to the tire's max rating. this is risky in my opinion because it increases the chance of a blowout...similar to if you used a lower than recomended tire preasure.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:52 PM

pressure too high or too low above Mazda's standards aren't neccesarily going to have a risk of blowout, but moreso uneven wear. If the pressure is too high, then the contact patch is more rigid and the middle of the tire will wear before the outer edges of the contact patch due to the rigidity keeping the tire from sinking a little bit allowing for even contact patch. If it's too low then the car will droop over it's tires too much and parts of the sidewall will fold underneath and cause greater wear on the outside of the contact patch.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: 87 turbo II

pressure too high or too low above Mazda's standards aren't neccesarily going to have a risk of blowout, but moreso uneven wear. If the pressure is too high, then the contact patch is more rigid and the middle of the tire will wear before the outer edges of the contact patch due to the rigidity keeping the tire from sinking a little bit allowing for even contact patch. If it's too low then the car will droop over it's tires too much and parts of the sidewall will fold underneath and cause greater wear on the outside of the contact patch.
very true, over-inflating or under-inflating does cause the tire to wear abnormally and much quicker. My tire pressure is set at 36 pounds per wheel. this is so that the tire tread is not completely flat on the ground (causes excessive wear). as for tire blowout, you would have to hit one hell of a pot-hole/speedbump/animal/etc. to have that effect. just be a cautious driver and you won't have to really worry about that situation.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:00 PM

no you want it as flat as can be (not the tire but the part that touches the ground otherwise known as contact patch). it doesn't cause it to wear faster, it causes it to wear evenly. This puts the contact patch across a greater surface are so there's less pressure per square inch and it is less agressive on the tread so the reccomended PSi will get you the longest lasting results.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:00 AM

The Energy MXV4's actually don't even come with any warranty or anything. I have 34k miles on my car and I still have about 5-6/32 of tread left on the tires.

My car is actually up at the shop now getting inspection, so if they write that on the report when I go pick up my car, I will let you know what it's at. I don't beat on my car at all though. I go about 5 mph over the speed limit when driving, slow down significantly when entering turns, tires get rotated every 6k miles, alignment done every 15k miles. I baby all my cars. Take care of you car, treat it like a toddler, and it will take care of you!

Old 06-16-2006, 03:56 PM

ORIGINAL: AlyssaC

Take care of you car, treat it like a toddler, and it will take care of you!
thank you! If only all the other Rx-7 owners talked to you maybe the Rx-7 wouldn't have so many myths of blowing up.

Quick Reply: Tire Wear