Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Sunroof Wind Deflector Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Default Sunroof Wind Deflector Vibration

Hi,

We bought an '04 Mazda6 S Wagon a few weeks ago. The ONLY problem I've noticed is that the sunroof wind deflector starts violently vibrating between 80 and 90 mph (sometimes in the low 80's, somtimes in the high 80's). It sounds like there's a jackhammer on my roof! Slowing down to 80mph or less causes it to stop. Has anyone experienced this and found a solution? With the amount of interstate travel that we do, going fast will continue to be a frequent occurrence, so I need a fix. Has anyone sorted this problem? Or is the only "fix" to remove the wind deflector entirely? Thanks all,

David

Old 11-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Default RE: Sunroof Wind Deflector Vibration

...no i cant say that my sunroof deflector vibrates...how ever i do get considerable wind noise when i do get up to speed in my 6. Mainly around the doors and a little from the sunroof...and i can see that the side mirrors moving as i gain speed...i wont tell how fast...but if some of you have gotten your speeds up to speed you know what i'm talking about...or is it just mine?

Old 11-20-2006, 09:54 PM

I assume you are talking about the optional accessory deflector that sits on top of the roof? I don't think that was designed with 90 mph travel in mind. You may want to check to see if all of the attachment points are in correctly.

I don't have the deflector on my wife's 6 wagon and never felt the need for one. I think it would only add wind noise/turbulence to an otherwise smooth roofline.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:08 AM

I agree. Manufacturers spend millions on areodynamics and wind tunnel testing. So don't mess it up. I never feel the need of a deflector: It is not effective at low speed while it creates noise/vibration right above your ears at high speed whether your roof is open or not. Too much wind into the car at high speed, just open the roof partially. Take it out and I bet you'll be happier.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:35 AM

If it's an aftermarket wind deflector (not the one that goes up automatically when you open the sunroof), take it off, it disrupts the aerodynamics mazda spent the time to develop, throwing a wrench, biscally, into the airflow.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:13 AM

Thanks gang. The deflector was on the car when I bought it. It does have "Mazda" molded into it, so I'll assume it's factory. However, I do believe I'll take a couple of yours advice, and remove the thing. I agreed that it's not benefitting me in any way. Thanks!

David

Old 11-21-2006, 10:14 AM

Does the deflector come off easily, or is it a pain in the ****?

David

Old 11-21-2006, 10:21 AM

It's probably the dealer add-on option, you should be able to go to your dealer and ask to see one of the wind-deflectors in the box (call ahead to verify it's in stock), there will be installation instructions with the deflector. You'll avoid damaging anything if you know exactly how it is held on.

I would think it most likely snaps into the sunroof trench/opening (i.e. no screws), but there could be a trick to how the clips disengage.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:11 PM

Thanks sstlaure...I'll get with the dealer asap. 'Preciate it!

David

Old 11-21-2006, 12:27 PM

well. I have a moonroof deflector but it is made by weathertech. It does not make any sounds. It cuts the wind noise in half. It is a great buy!

Quick Reply: Sunroof Wind Deflector Vibration