Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Default Steering Issue

I know this may sound stupid....but I am having an issue with my 2004 Mazda 6. It is a 5 speed and has just over 35,000 miles on it. Lately when I drive it pulls to the right, I took it into a friend who is a mechanic thinking it needed an alignment. He put it on the machine and found it to be in perfect range. He adjusted the camber ever so slightly, put air in the tires and rotated them, even though they are directional tires. When I left that night it drove about 10 times worse. Now, the steering wheel is off to the rightby about an inch. So I took it back to him and he feels the pull and put it back on the machine and found the same specs as he did the day before. I am thinking about taking it to the dealership but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and knows of what it could be. THANKS!!
~BRE~

Old 04-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Default RE: Steering Issue

Does your car turn a tighter radius right vs. left? Do you regularly rotate your tires & how much tread is left on them?

With directional tires the only way to rotate them is bring the fronts to the rear and vice versa (Unless you unmount and remount the tires.) You must run them in the proper rotating direction (should be noted on the side of the tire.)

If your steering wheel is off center, but you drive straight, most likely your tie-rods were adjusted, but they didn't have the steering properly centered when they aligned everything. Easily fixable

If he adjusted the front camber to a more negative condition (not sure if he did...but you mentioned he adjusted it.) it would make the steering feel more twitchy.

Definitely take it to a dealer. That should all be covered under warranty.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:38 PM

I don't believe I have a tighter radius, but I could. I bought the car in December used and the tires were brand new then so they only have 5,000 or so miles on them.
The steering wheel was off center before but no where near as badly.
He did adjust the Camber negatively but is now 0.0 degrees. I think? lol
I will call the Dealership in the morning.
Thank You!

Old 04-11-2007, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: sk8trbaby

I don't believe I have a tighter radius, but I could. I bought the car in December used and the tires were brand new then so they only have 5,000 or so miles on them.
Thank You!
Your mechanic adjusted front camber? Really...? That's interesting considering that the Mazda6 does not have an adjustment for front camber or caster, the only thing that can be adjusted is toe.
a pull to one side, assuming no problems with tires or brakes, is a cross-caster issue. there are ways to correct this but it's not easy. i'd ask to see what the caster specs are for both sides. they should be within .1-.2 degrees of each other despite what Mazda's very generous specs say.
There is a Mazda TSB out about front end pull/drift. It might be helpful to your dealership in diagnosing the problem.
I'd run like hell from your "mechanic" if I were you.
Here's the link:
http://www.finishlineperformance.com.../docs/0053.pdf

Old 04-11-2007, 11:46 PM

ORIGINAL: DennisW

ORIGINAL: sk8trbaby

Thank You!
Your mechanic adjusted front camber? Really...? That's interesting considering that the Mazda6 does not have an adjustment for front camber or caster, the only thing that can be adjusted is toe.
a pull to one side, assuming no problems with tires or brakes, is a cross-caster issue. there are ways to correct this but it's not easy. i'd ask to see what the caster specs are for both sides. they should be within .1-.2 degrees of each other despite what Mazda's very generous specs say.
There is a Mazda TSB out about front end pull/drift. It might be helpful to your dealership in diagnosing the problem.
I'd run like hell from your "mechanic" if I were you.
Here's the link:
http://www.finishlineperformance.com.../docs/0053.pdf
He indirectly adjusted front camber by changing toe...that is what she meant to say. This is not a cross caster issue, as the specs on the sheet that I saw had a deviation of .1 or .2* from each other. Everything is within tight spec, so this is why I know it's not a caster/camber/toe issue. I know that it's a suspension defect now from the TSB link that you posted. Thank you. Can anyone tell me how much variations on stock suspension setups the 6 has had over the past few production years? Obviously since the TSB goes to 2007, I would assume they didn't get it right yet. What have 6 owners had to get replaced to fix this problem? Entire strut assemblies? Control arms?

Per the TSB:
Orientation of front coil spring and structure of front suspension (double-pivot type), torque may pull front
lower arm to the left or right.
Suspension assembly variation causing preload to remain on the suspension.

That is where I believe the problem is.

BTW, the mechanic that she took it to is very good, he knows his stuff.