Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

shifting problems out of 3rd gear.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Default shifting problems out of 3rd gear.....

when i am climbing a hill that isn't very steep, maybe a 14 degree angle that goes on for probably 1000 feet, my car does not like to switch out of third gear. i decrease the gas pedal as much as i can before i start to slow down alot and the gear still doesnt change. I've also tried to crank the gas pedal more without slamming on the gas but the car still insists on staying in 3rd gear until i am over the hill and rolling downwards, then it bumps into 5th gear. The car can definitely make the hill with ease in 4th gear because i do it when i am using the manual AT mode. when in 3rd gear, going over 3k is very easy because it does not want to shift. I could wait all day and the damn thing still wont change gears. Is this a problem or am i just being too picky about what my car should perform like. I dont wanna keep eating up the damn gas because my car wont shift thus causing much higher rpms almost into the 3500rpm range.

Old 11-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Default RE: shifting problems out of 3rd gear.....

Can't say have run across that happening before. Will give it a try on some other new cars on Monday to see how they respond to climbing a hill. May just be part of the TCM parameters that if the engine is at a certain amount of load then 3rd is automatically selected. Can always put into manual control until you get over the top.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:39 AM

alright cool. yeah, i've tried this a few times since there is only 2 ways i can get to work quickly and the one path i take, this happens every single time. yes, i do use the manual shift mode because the shifting does annoy me a bit. ya know.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:32 PM

Auto trans aren't exactly what make the 6 a top pick. I've heard a lot of problems coming out of em one of which is their shift lock. I sport a stick shift just because it rules and I feel much more in control of the car, the problem you're having is clearly user error. The tranny's are always going to do that unless you have them adjust it for who knows how many $100's of dollars, so solution would most likely be to use the auto-stick. It may not be as glorious but it'll get you what you want... that's probably why they put it there anyway.

D to the B

Old 11-21-2005, 11:27 PM

I agree with you, i will see if the dealership will maybe tweak that for me while it is under warrantee because that is just not cool. i dont mind using the manual mode, i wish i would have gotten a stick but i am just too tired in the morning and at night since i'm up at 6am every day and dont get to bed till around midnight at the latest..... talk about working full time, having a full time college, and having a g/f haha. what a life, but it is worth it.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:16 PM

The car I drove did not downshift all the way to 3rd but did downshift to 4th and would not upshift untill over top of hill. This was at 65 mph though so I doubt would shift down that far unless was a really steep hill. What kind of speed are you driving at? There is little to no adjustment that can be made to these transmissions. Everything is electronic control so you would have to change the TCM logic in order to change a shift point. The reprogramer that we use at the dealer does not have any options but only programs according to updated info from Mazda engineering. There is a reprogram that smooths the 1-2 upshift when cold but don't know and doubt that it would help in this case.
On another note. We had a thread going awhile back about steering wheel vibration and warped front rotors but have not been able to find it. Was wondering if you still had the warped rotor problem or has been repaired? A few others adding in the discussion about rotor warpage not being covered under warranty. JKoolMann and CoralReefer I think.

Old 11-24-2005, 01:56 AM

my rotors and steering are fine. i was just concerned about the corrosion that appeared but that did not affect anything. I'm traveling up the hill at around 40 mph in 3rd gear, sigh*. If i gun it before the hill begins its upward slope, then it will pop into 4th gear right away.