Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Seat belt alarm disable

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 06:50 PM
Default RE: Seat belt alarm disable

I also would not recommend doing anything with the seat belts sstlaure. Removing the screw for the door ajar switch does not effect the seat belt warnings in any way but was only suggested to gray_mazda_6 as a way to have the door open, key on acc and not have the door ajar chime dinging the whole time. It is not a phillips screw head by the way but a T30 torx. Should be a picture at bottom of this showing location of switch for gray 6. The other door switches are in a similar location on the body just below the door striker.

Was slow this morning so decided to see what disabling the beltminder on a 6 actually does. Here goes.

On 05 and earlier with the system enabled the warning light and chime flashes and dings six times every 30 seconds but only if the vehicle begins moving. With the beltminder disabled, The warning light never comes on but the chime sounds six times when first starting engine and then not again. All of this with seat belt not latched of course.

On 06 models, (which is what spark3542 must have as it is quite annoying) after 30 seconds of driving the light starts flashing and chime sounds for 35 seconds at slow speed, then 35 seconds of medium speed, then 35 seconds of REALLY annoying fast. After that the chime quits but light remains on solid.
With beltminder disabled, the light and chime sound 6 times and then light stays on solid after startup until belt is latched.
Oh, and if you want to be really annoyed spark3542 the 06 model also has beltminder feature for the passenger side as well that does the same as drivers side if left unlatched. Fortunately this feature comes from the factory disabled. I am sure your dealer would not mind enabling it if you really insisted.

Anyway, there are still some warnings to remind you to fasten you seat belt when starting vehicle and beltminder disabled, they just do not continue after that initial reminder outside of the light remaining on with the 06 model.

Here is that pic of the door switch location gray_mazda_6

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/EECDCB1BB3F74CAF92F5AD5A0335C7B4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-17-2005, 01:02 AM

Ah ha ! that explains why he is going crazy with his '06 .... man I'm glad I don't have that in my '05 , sounds odd and far fetched to put a chime that speeds up silly like that ... I'd be curious to hear it JUST ONE TIME though heheh . Six times is the limit for me but every 30 sec. is too close I still find ; every minute , minute half would of been more acceptable .

Old 12-17-2005, 11:47 AM

thank you soo much babyhuey. Got that whole process done and over with this morning. Best part was that I not only got that out of the way, but I got to put that new heated garage system to use.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:47 AM

I went to the dealer about my seat belt minder as I do wear it when driving,I like it to not go off at car shows,etc when showing off the stereo or revving the engine for others while parked. Either way,there RE times when that thing is nothing but a disturbance and it needs to be off. I went to the dealer and they listened to my pleas and told me they charge $85.00 to disable it and strongly urge that you enable it again before selling or trading in the car in the future.
Like in the earlier forum though,I guess it is up to EACH dealer to decide price and inherent liability of this disabling.

I learned alot though from everyone elses posts though! Thanks Guys!

Old 12-19-2005, 03:04 PM

Yes, I have the '06.

I just spoke to the svce dept at the dealer I bought the car from. He said they will not disable any seatbelt alarms, it's against their policy. I subsequently wrote them a nastygram.

I don't really have the time to go shopping around looking for a dealer willing to do this procedure. Do local independent shops in general have the computers capable of doing this?

Also, Where's the best place to get a service manual? I'd prefer a hardcopy over a CDrom.

Thanks

Mark in MA

Old 12-20-2005, 04:22 AM

Usually the dealer sells the service manual but its not given $$$

Old 12-20-2005, 10:36 PM

Do not see a workshop manual available for the 2006 MY 6 from Mazda. Come to think of it, I do not even have any 06 workshop manuals yet and may never get any. Mazda has been looking at having manuals available electronicaly over the internet only for a number of years and this year just may be it.[:@]
2005 shop edition is available but dealer price is $100 so you can guess what the markup will probably be.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:16 PM

Svce dept of my dealer called me today. They suddenly changed their policy on disabling the seatbelt minder and now will do it (I'm sure my nastygram had something to do with it), however they will charge 1 hour to do it, which is $92 at my dealer. My argument that hooking up the WDS and toggling a radio button to disable it should take maybe 4 minutes max, did not sway him. He gave me the bullsh*t line that it's a master tech that has to do it, and it takes 20 minutes just to get through the security portion in the computer, then another half hour to 40 minutes to disable it.

Mark in MA

Old 12-21-2005, 06:31 PM

I just had a thought.

There must be a weigh-scale of some sort (maybe a piezoelectric strain gauge or something?) in the seat to send a signal that someone is sitting there. Obviously there's one in the pass. seat to disable the airbag. Is it the same in the driver's seat?

Also, there must be a switch in the seatbelt receiver that signals that the belt has been fastened.

Possibly finding the right wire to snip or to short to ground will do the desired function. Without the manual I'm crippled though. Does anyone have the schematic for the switches in either of those two areas?

I feel like a criminal...the sales guy I bought it from says "why don't you just fasten the belt behind you?" I say..."no, no, no, I want to wear my seatbelt! I just don't want the alarm while I'm OUT OF MY CAR at my mailbox, and then all the way up my driveway"

Mark in MA

Old 12-21-2005, 10:54 PM

He did feed you a line didn't he? There is no security procedure and the total time to complete from vehicle being parked in the stall to backing back out finished is about 5 minutes. Of course if you were in for a check engine light being on then the equipment is already connected, vehicle ID'd and would take an additional 10 seconds..
And no there is not a seat weight sensor in the drivers seat. I think Mazda engineers assumed that the driver would be larger than one that would fit in an infant seat.

Quick Reply: Seat belt alarm disable