Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

rims question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Default rims question

do any of ya'll know of a website to view rims on your car other than tirerack? I'm asking because tirerack doesn't have the rims I like(and will eventually get)

Old 08-14-2009, 09:17 AM

Tirerack is the only one i know of. Out of curiosity, which rims (what size, width, and offset) are you looking at? Are you driving a gen1 or gen2 6?

Old 08-14-2009, 04:07 PM

mine is a gen1, I think...it's a 2008. I'm not sure about offset, I just don't want them to stick out much. but my list so far is:

Tenzo DC-5 version 2
Tork Imagine
R1 Racing Hype (machined w/black)
Drifz Nos 505b

whichever I get will be in black w/chrome lip, 18x8. but I'm thinking about 19's cause they fill the wheelwell so good. and if it's possible, I'd love to have them wider than 8 inches

Old 08-16-2009, 08:38 PM

The only other one I know of is Discount Tire Direct.com. I hope this might work better for your needs.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:56 PM

2008 is gen 1, post "face-lift". Stock offset is 60mm with a 7" wide wheel.

Stick with 18's, trust me. I'm running 18x7.5 with a 52mm offset and 225/45 tires and am getting a slight rub in the rear, then again, I'm dropped on Mazdaspeed springs so that doesn't help me any. But still, 18's fill the fender perfect and still let you run enough tire that blowouts from potholes aren't a problem. 19's....not so much. In order to run 19" wheels you would have to run 40 or 35 aspect tires and run them at around 38 psi to compensate for the lower load rating, which makes them more susceptible to blowing out.

The tenzo's you posted are a 45mm offset, which is cutting it close and will require a fender roll to make them work without rubbing.
The R1's won't work, they only come in 19 and the offsets are too low to work with this car without seriously modifying the fenders.
The Drifz I couldn't find in 8" width, but the 7.5" has a 42mm offset, and the 9.5" has a 35mm offset, neither of which will be easy to fit to the 6..... actually the second just flat out won't work at all.
Couldn't find any offset info on the torks.

Last edited by CKeffer; 08-16-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

I don't mean to put down your suggestion FFEMT6, I am familiar with Discounts site. They do have a wheel viewer but it only works with a few of the wheels they carry, and their selection is already limited.
MB, Drag & Enkei are their three main brands listing 18's for the 6 series, and many of them (the Drags) are only a +45mm offset. Though I know it's been done, for my money that's pushing it a bit on a 6 series car.
Some of those wheels your looking at can't just be found anywhere. Your dealer options might be severely limited.

Ginia, the factory offset for a 1st gen 6 is +60mm, nearly impossible to find that in the AM, but is you stay close to or at a +48 - +53, which is more doable, you should be OK. The higher, the better.
They have a set of 5Zigen's (ZR+ 18x7.5 +52mm) in gunmetal that would look good on your car? And the dk gray will hide the brake dust better than black will. Take it from one who knows.

My gray wheels, though not the best picture.

Last edited by virgin1; 08-16-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 08-17-2009, 09:23 AM

well crap. this sucks. but I do like that rim that you put up virgin1. it's different. but I'll check the other website and see what I can find

Old 08-17-2009, 12:28 PM

Yeah, finding wheels is a bit more complicated than just finding a design you like that comes in the right bolt pattern. Good luck on finding something you like that works, and if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

What Cameron said, goes double for me. He is right on the money.

It took me three years of looking, searching and researching to find the wheels I wanted that would also not do the car or it's driveablilty harm.

I think it's actually gotten a bit easier in the past year or so to find such extreme positive off-sets. When I was looking, and I was looking for a +50mm or better, plus a lighter weight wheel, they were few and far between in my price range at least. Now +52's +53's are not that hard to find.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ginia
well crap. this sucks. but I do like that rim that you put up virgin1. it's different. but I'll check the other website and see what I can find
If I hadn't already chosen the Kosei's (or had a very LIMITED budget), and the weight was correct, I might have chosen these 5Zigen's too!! They look pretty good to me.

Quick Reply: rims question