Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Rear window defogger issues, input please

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 01:27 AM
Dru
Default Rear window defogger issues, input please

New 06 Mazda 6, it has about 4000 miles on it, we have had it to the stealership 2 times and still no help.

Problem:
The rear window defogger/deicer doesn't work, its my girlfriends car and we live 2 hours apart so dealing with the dumbasses they call technicians personally is an option I'd like to avoid. They told her its doing what its should. The defogger grid will warm up just slightly but not even enough to defog.

The service manager asks her, "was the fog on the inside or outside?" She says, outside, he tells her, oh well the defogger only defogs the inside of the window. Bring it in when it happens again. Yeah like in OCTOBER!!?!?!??!

I've looked up the 06, 6 in alldata online and it doesn't even have the schematics on it yet so I figured I'd ask other owners. I'm guessing it has 12v on 1 side, ground on the other and is controlled by a timer circuit.

Has anyone else had problems with their defogger?

Don't worry, I will probably have to take a trip to meet this jerkoff service manager myself.

I know my way around cars also, I'll have my BS in automotive technology from SIUC late next year, and have been obsessed with cars since I could remember.

Thanks in advance everybody

Oh and if anyone wants to know, its Bommorito off Manchester in Saint Louis County Mo

Old 06-15-2006, 03:21 AM
Default RE: Rear window defogger issues, input please

If you are sure that the grid warmed up; that means the defogger is working. Sounds like the timer turns it off too soon. With the engine running, turn on the defogger, use a voltmeter with red lead touching the +12 V side and the black lead grounded, you will be able to time the timer. Then ask the tech. how long the timer should be on and compare that to your own finding. Good luck.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:40 AM

and if not wait till babyhuey sees your post. He helps solve the issue 95% of the time.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:07 PM

Hmmm. Is only designed to clear fog from the inside of the rear glass. I wonder why on page 5-45 of the owners manual it clearly states and I quote "The rear window defroster clears frost, fog, and thin ice from the rear window". I guess it must be common to have a thin layer of ice on the INSIDE of the glass. The defroster does have a 15 minute time-out and light on defroster button will go off when this period has elapsed. Just push again to restart. You should feel a good amount of heat on the outside of the glass even after just a few minutes and after 15 should pretty much clear anything but snowfall. The positive side of the grid is on the drivers side and passenger side is ground side. You should see about 1.0- 1.5 volts less than battery voltage when measuring with DVOM.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Dru

Yes, I read the same thing stating Ice and was wondering exactly how a person would get ice on the inside of the window, I'll measure voltage and time it myself, I'll let you know the results, thanks for the input everybody