Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

rear wheel drive Mazda 6 coming soon?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 09:43 AM
Default rear wheel drive Mazda 6 coming soon?

In 2021 when the Mazda 6 was discontinued rumors emerged about a new Mazda 6 rear wheel drive , possibly a hybrid , could be introduced for the 2023 model year, but that did not happen. Does anybody know if a new Mazda 6 will be introduced?

Old 12-24-2023, 06:45 AM

Planned for sometime after 2025. Current rumors are, it will be rear drive/ AWD rear biased and, offer an inline 6 cylinder motor, with a mild hybrid setup. Quick Google search of automotive jourlism pages should help.

Old 12-24-2023, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bowl_Of_Fat
Planned for sometime after 2025. Current rumors are, it will be rear drive/ AWD rear biased and, offer an inline 6 cylinder motor, with a mild hybrid setup. Quick Google search of automotive jourlism pages should help.
The hybrid factor would likely help sales. I like the RWD , and I believe it's been awhile since RWD was available on a full size vehicle (from any maker).The recently discontinued Mazda 6 was a fine car but I don't believe it was a good selling model.

Old 12-29-2023, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by CX-MX-5
The hybrid factor would likely help sales. I like the RWD , and I believe it's been awhile since RWD was available on a full size vehicle (from any maker).The recently discontinued Mazda 6 was a fine car but I don't believe it was a good selling model.

Idk if I'd call the 6 a full size vehicle. It's in the mid-size sedan category, but it seems all categoies are becoming increasingly larger as ti.e goes on. Plenty of auto manufacturers still offer RWD cars and not just sports cars. You can still purchase RWD cars from several manufacturers these days (what small amount of cars are still being sold in the US). The last RWD car that mazda produced (that I can remember besides the MX5 and RX line) was the 929. That was full size at the time. Oddly enough it had roughly the same dimensions the current 6. 😁

Old 12-29-2023, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bowl_Of_Fat
You can still purchase RWD cars from several manufacturers these days (what small amount of cars are still being sold in the US).
Which current brand/model cars have RWD?

Old 12-29-2023, 12:17 PM

Well Ford and Chey no longer sell cars in the states, aside from sports cars. BMWs, Mercedes, Audi, Tesla, Dodge (despite soon discontinuing the Charger/Challenger platform), Porsche, Lexus, Cadillac, Alfa Romeo, Jaguar, Genesis and Kia. Even though these are all luxury vehicle lines (except Dodge, Kia), you can still option sedans from these manufacturers in RWD configurations. 9 times out of 10 you'll see AWD on these vehicles. Usually what the dealer keeps in stock that will sell faster. AWD is a great selling point, especially if your area sees snow. Other advantages of AWD is the potential increase in handling performance.

There still are RWD sedans but they are fewer of them on the road than there used to be. Still plenty of truck and SUV options for RWD as well.

Old 02-19-2024, 11:38 AM

wish they would bring back the 6 wagon with awd...wouldn't consider rwd vehicle where i live since we get snow...not really interested in a hybrid either due to battery replacement costs down the line...interested to see what they do