Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Performance help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Lightbulb Performance help

Hi, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to this stuff in a way I know what some things are if that makes sense lol, I'm going to just get to it. I have a 2007 Mazda 6 4 Cylinder 2.3L and I wanted to put modifications on it to get more HP but I don't particularly know what parts to start with... SO I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

BY the way, I saw an old post similar to mine that dates WAY back in 2009 except the guy was talking about doing a engine swap and people were just telling him pretty much screw that and get a turbo, but if that's the only route I can go... what all will I need to optimize the MOST HP

Hope I worded all that right. lol
THANKS.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

Cold air intake, quality high flow air filter.
Free flowing exhaust.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:00 AM
Banned

You can get a Tuner from Hypertech # 62003, but not much increase as it's a 4 cylinder. You will get minimum power gains of: Premium Octane +7 HP +10 Torque; Regular Octane +6 HP +7 Torque.
You will get close to the same with cold air intake and free flowing exhaust.
I think the K&N short ram filter with heat shield would be best for you: K&N Filters # 69-6027TTK

Click on above part numbers for price.

Unfortunately you did not state whether you have an automatic or standard. If you go Turbo with automatic you have a risk of blowing the transmission especially if you haven't changed fluids yet. You will also need an external tranny cooler if go turbo with an automatic.
If you go turbo, you will need smaller spark plug gap with a more powerful ign coil to make sure the plug fires under the turbo pressure. With a turbo you will have to run premium fuel as well as re-programming your computer and finding a turbo and intercooler. Your exhaust with a turbo will need customizing.

For Mazda 6 Turbo, you need to get a hold of this guy, he has twin turbo'd his mazda 6 and he probably has a tuner for you to re-program your ecu for a turbo install: Products/Services

Mazda pricing may be high.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 12-05-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
You can get a Tuner from Hypertech # 62003, but not much increase as it's a 4 cylinder. You will get minimum power gains of: Premium Octane +7 HP +10 Torque; Regular Octane +6 HP +7 Torque.
You will get close to the same with cold air intake and free flowing exhaust.
I think the K&N short ram filter with heat shield would be best for you: K&N Filters # 69-6027TTK

Click on above part numbers for price.

Unfortunately you did not state whether you have an automatic or standard. If you go Turbo with automatic you have a risk of blowing the transmission especially if you haven't changed fluids yet. You will also need an external tranny cooler if go turbo with an automatic.
If you go turbo, you will need smaller spark plug gap with a more powerful ign coil to make sure the plug fires under the turbo pressure. With a turbo you will have to run premium fuel as well as re-programming your computer and finding a turbo and intercooler. Your exhaust with a turbo will need customizing.

For Mazda 6 Turbo, you need to get a hold of this guy, he has twin turbo'd his mazda 6 and he probably has a tuner for you to re-program your ecu for a turbo install: Products/Services

Mazda pricing may be high.
@UseYourNoggin Yeah, I figured I wouldn't get a lot of gains being that it's a 4 cylinder. And by the way, my car is automatic by the way and just guessing if I went the turbo route how much HP would I gain? BY the way sorry if this is a NOOB question but I say hey why not ask, but could I get the intake and the tuner to get more gains? or does it not work like that?

Last edited by mulloccm; 12-05-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Cold air intake, quality high flow air filter.
Free flowing exhaust.
Recommend any sites to look up these items?

Old 12-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mulloccm
@UseYourNoggin Yeah, I figured I wouldn't get a lot of gains being that it's a 4 cylinder. And by the way, my car is automatic by the way and just guessing if I went the turbo route how much HP would I gain? BY the way sorry if this is a NOOB question but I say hey why not ask, but could I get the intake and the tuner to get more gains? or does it not work like that?
If going turbo route, we will look at the 2013 Mazdaspeed3 specs:
263-hp, MZR 2.3L Direct-Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) turbocharged 4-cylinder engine with 280 lb-ft of torque at 3000 rpm and Mazda Advanced Torque Management System. Anything is possible if you have $$$$$$$$$

For the tuner intake question, e-mail the guy on link i posted.
I already gave you part # for intake to use, with a link for pricing and purchasing --- click on part # on previous post.

Try Magnaflow for cat back exhaust.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 12-05-2013 at 11:04 AM.