Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

Is a PCM replacement necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Exclamation Is a PCM replacement necessary?

Hi all again... Apologies if this seems a bit odd but I'm starting a new thread as the situation I recently raised in this very forum has drastically changed and I feel the entire scope of the problem needs refreshed in a new topic as this is turning out to be VERY expensive... Previous topic can be found here:-

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/mazda-6-mps-acceleration-problem-16786/
Mazda 6 MPS Acceleration Problem

As you'll see from the previous topic, it has finally come to a point where an electronic part has been recommended for replacement. £1300 is a very big ask for a part...

Lets refresh the problem - Car has developed a bad acceleration problem. 4.5k Revs and the engine starts spluttering and the Check Engine indicator comes on. Mazdaspeed induction kit is installed also... First it was water that was believed to cause the problem and at first, once things had dried up - Problem gone! Less than a month later, same occured again and also in the rain as it was before however this time - the problem has been persistant and not gone away. Car was put into a Mazda dealership lastweek and after it sat for over 5 days untouched then they charged 9 hours diagnostic time with the recommendation that the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) needs replaced with the cost of £2000 including 1.5 hours to fit. Incidentally, the Check Engine Light does NOT come on anymore...

Has anyone out there encountered such a problem with a PCM in any model of Mazda? The fact that they're charging soo much for the diagnostic time is unforgivable in my opinion. Diagnostic equipment does not need 8.5 hours to warm up!!! Does anyone know where the PCM is installed in a Mazda 6 MPS? Would climate conditions like very wet/windy roads affect the PCM in this way? I would be VERY grateful for anyone with any views/opinions to get in touch too - this is a forum and opinions/comments are very welcome... The car itself is awesome but this situation is leaving a very bitter taste in mine and the owner's mouth...

Last edited by toonzer; 02-11-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:56 PM

I would think they'd have to replace/diagnose a ton of other things before they got to thinking the PCM is bad. I have heard of it happening before (any part has the possibility of breaking, no matter how good.)

In my undergrad days, my school had this Marine Big-block chevy with a beautiful EFI system, but no one could get it running. My roommate and I troubleshot the entire engine, finally deciding the PCM was bad. We got a new PCM and the same problem existed. We again went through the whole thing, and our diagnosis was again a bad PCM. We contacted the place and again got a new PCM....That time it fired right up and the engine w/some tuning was well over 600hp.

You just never know sometimes.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Post NOT covered by warranty

Hi all again... Update time. Thanks for that post Sstlaure - Technology can be a brilliant but frustrating addition to our lives.

Mazda have categorically refused to cover this by warranty due to the fact that the Mazdaspeed CAI was installed. Should this be the case? The CAI does not contain any non-standard electronic parts (Uses the Stock MAF) therefore I must ask - Is this fair? They have maintained that the use of the Mazdaspeed CAI caused the problem which I am not convinced about... They say that they have never seen this problem before and the part is "Non-UK" issue - Eh? I'm gutted at this result... Any views?

Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 PM

If its a Mazdaspeed part it will have to be covered because its there performace part but fine the instuction for the part and it should tell you as long as its installed properly I think it should be covered....

Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 PM

Part of the problem here is that some stealerships are mod friendly, and others aren't. Some will see an aftermarket exhaust system and blame it for a problem with the headlights simply to get out of having to do the warranty work.

-Cameron Keffer

Old 02-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Angry Conflicting views over "Mazdaspeed" and poor service!

Hello again,

Having an issue over exactly who "Mazdaspeed" is and if they are directly affiliated with Mazda. People are telling me that the warranty is void even if the original dealer installed such a CAI because it is not an Authentic Mazda part... So who was in the wrong or right as it may be when the CAI was installed? Dealer is now saying that they are having trouble obtaining the program for the PCM which I believed to be installed on the PCM when it arrived... My next question is this then, if they need to obtain the program for the PCM, why didn't they try re-programming the original PCM before condeming it like we had asked them to do when they originally diagnosed the PCM? My respect of Mazda Dealers has gone right down the tubes now. Nearly 2 weeks and the car is still not ready.
Apologies for the rant but I'm sure you can appreciate how infuriating this situation has become!

Old 02-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Default Update

The Mazdaspeed AI is manufactured and endorsed by Mazda US.
The PCM arrived Fri 13th Feb (lucky for some) I received a phone call informing me the car would be repaired that day if not the following morn. Saturday came and the car still not fixed. Wasted journey.
I received a call on Mon requesting the other set of car keys as this was necessary to setup the new PCM as it needs to 'know' the keys. I stopped work and raced down with the spare ke and valet key. I returned later that day to be told they were having problems programming the PCM. They had requested, from their tech desk elsewhere,for the programme specific to the car.
This information contradicts a previous claim that the PCM cannot be re-programmed and therefor requires a whole replacement. Is this information correct. I understand it can be flashed with an update but can it be re-programmed and if so why did they not do this in the first instance. Due to the fact they did not have all the keys they cannot have tried.

Last edited by Swan330; 02-16-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:07 PM

My point exactly My Friend... I smell something very, very suspicious about this! And the Mazdaspeed CAI is fully endorsed by Mazda! Someone at the dealership is telling Porky pies...

Old 02-16-2009, 07:53 PM

Here in the US if it's a Mazdaspeed part and it's installed by a mazdaspeed certified dealer, it doesn't void your warranty....not sure how that works in the UK though.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 AM

This is turning out to be quite a complicated affair.
The car is still not fixed and is showing error code P0234 Turbo overboost condition.
A new PCM was installed. This has not solved the problem.
My patience with said garage is wearing very thin.
Technical have said the new PCM was programmed incorrectly or there was a bug in the download. If this were so then why is it showing the same fault EXACTLY.
Then technical said the PCM had not been programmed manually using 'ADBIL?' and had been programmed using the original PCM hence the same fault.
Why oh why could they not reprogramme the original PCM.
Has anyone had experience of this particular error code and did it require a whole new PCM? I fear not.

Quick Reply: Is a PCM replacement necessary?