Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

New battery and rebuilt alternator, car dies one month later?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 08:51 AM
Default New battery and rebuilt alternator, car dies one month later?

I was having many overcharging issues with my 2007 Mazda 6I, at one point the battery had spewed acid everywhere and gave out. So about a month ago I had a rebuilt alternator from autozone and a new battery put in. It ran great, until two days ago the charging light came on, along with a cylinder misfire CEL. It stalled out on me and I haven't been able to get it to start. I jumped it off and it died right after. Anyone got a clue?

Old 07-25-2020, 09:21 AM

First before you continue cranking on it go and retrieve the DTC using a scanner connected to the Diagnostic OBDII connector. You should be getting many considering the no start and your cranking the starter. But we can weed threw those and see what is relative DTC's

Old 07-25-2020, 12:09 PM

Read the OBD2 codes and if you have a multimeter check the system voltage the alternator is putting out when it is running (+ to battery positive/red cable and negative/black lead to the engine or ground). Not sure on these cars if the voltage regulator is part of alternator, but that's what it sounds like to me... could be a bad rebuild... are your belt/pulleys ok? Check your battery connections too.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:19 PM

Electronic's like rebuilt alternators have what is called "infant mortality" which means that any electrical part will perform for its designed service of fail within the first aprox. 8 hours of operation. After this generally speaking there are other factors that influence a premature failure of a part like an generator/alternator

I recomend if you are going to do the procedure mentioned by Luky to first charge the battery and if possible have it load checked.

A single misfire code may have only been an anomaly created by the effect of the condition of a lower then required voltage to maintain the ignition system? Knowing which DTC you got is always helpful?

AUTOZONE can check your battery health and should (varies with each store) also be able to bench test the alternator?

Last edited by Callisto; 07-25-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:25 PM

I believe the voltage regulator is in the PCM for these cars, Ive considered getting a new one, but theyre expensive and I probably couldnt afford it atm. However I have had problems with the battery connection. I just recently put new terminals on the car, and I was planning on having the battery cables replaced. I wouldnt be suprised if they are corroded near the main ground.

The last time I checked the codes alll I had was a CEL for the misfire. I wasnt able to pick up any other issues, however if I can get it moving Ill take it to autozone for some electrical tests. Im not really too sure about the results though. My only experience has been wrenching it to keep this crazy beater going.

Old 07-25-2020, 04:27 PM

Today I will attempt to read the codes and check the belts and Ill report back.

Old 07-26-2020, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MarxG1999
I believe the voltage regulator is in the PCM for these cars,. .
You are 100% correct