Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

need some help with finding speaker wires...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Default need some help with finding speaker wires...

I am going to be slapping a few tweeters into my car for higher sound clarity... as well as trying to go deaf a little bit faster. What I need to know is what wires I need to tap into for the front right and front left portions of my car ( 2005 mazda6s).

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Default RE: need some help with finding speaker wires...

Are you replacing the stock tweeters or adding additional tweeters?

Old 03-15-2006, 05:43 PM

i'm adding additional tweeters...

Old 03-15-2006, 08:18 PM

The electrical engineer in me just kicked in.

Two cautions about adding tweeters (and speakers in general). All speakers have a resistance, called impedance, associated with them. That impedance must match the impedance that the stereo is expecting to see. A typical impedance may be 8 ohms. The circuitry in the amp is expecting 8 ohms. If your speaker is 8 ohms, everything is fine. If you add another 8 ohm speaker in parallel with the first speaker, the effective impedance drops to 4 ohms. The amp is expecting 8 and sees 4, so it's not operating at optimal range. You may lose loudness, add distrortion, and possibly cause other problems in the amp as well. All the things you were trying to improve by adding speakers have gotten worse. If you were to wire the second speaker in series with the first speaker (rather than in parallel), the effective impedance increases to 16 ohms, and you still have all the same problems as if you went to 4 ohms.

The other issue with adding a tweeter is you must add a crossover filter to only allow high frequencies to get to the tweeter. Just adding a tweeter alone, all the sounds...bass, midrange, and high will be going to the tweeter, again, sounding like crap.

Also important is to match polarity. An additional speaker attached with the polarity wrong (positive to negative and vice versa) will negate the sound pressure and you actually get less sound total.

If the speakers you're adding already have a system to match impedance and do the appropriate filtering, great, but if you're just adding raw speakers, it may not give you what you're expecting.

Mark in MA

Old 03-15-2006, 11:22 PM

i see... i'm not big in the electrical knowledge field... never got a chance to learn it. I do know what I was planning on slapping 2 tweeters on each side and each tweeter is run at around 4 ohms. I'm not sure what the stock amplifier is set at...

Old 03-16-2006, 07:13 PM

I thought all of the 05 6's had the six speaker system with speakers in each door and tweeter at the front door sail garnish at the front corner of side window? Is your's only a 4 speaker system?

Old 03-16-2006, 11:00 PM

actually its a 7 speaker system, 2 front, 2 rear, 2 tweeter in window area, and a subwoofer in the rear. But I want even more high vocals...

anyone know what gauge wiring the stock speaker wires are... i'm thinking 18 gauge.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Default Car toys connector!

Originally Posted by the_gray_mazda6
I am going to be slapping a few tweeters into my car for higher sound clarity... as well as trying to go deaf a little bit faster. What I need to know is what wires I need to tap into for the front right and front left portions of my car ( 2005 mazda6s).

Thanks for your help!
Theres a connector you can buy at car toys. About $15.99-$25.99 tell them what your workin with they'll know