Mazda6 This powerful new sedan offers a sporty feel and stout engine, all without compromising the ability to seat 5.

NEED HELP ASAP!!!! Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Default NEED HELP ASAP!!!! Starting problem

2004 Mazda6 65K

I turn the key in the ignition and nothing happens (nothing normal anyways).
No clicking, no turn over.

Then the spedometer and OD go all the way until it hits the tack and then goes back to the beginning.
then the CD player starts shuffling though.

All of the interior lights work, headlights don't. No lights in dash when key is turned......

any suggestions?!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Default RE: NEED HELP ASAP!!!! Starting problem

Try hooking it up through another car (jumpstart through battery) to see what happens with a good 12V source of power.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:06 AM

Sounds like you need a new battery. Same thing happened to me a few years back.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:07 PM

+1 on the new battery

-Cameron Keffer

Old 10-22-2007, 01:47 PM

I came across this same issue with my '04 6i, no start, strange interior lighting functionality, and the tech/speedo jumping all over the place after you try to start. I thought it was just the battery at first, but it turned out that the alternator also needed to be replaced. I was suspicious of the alternator when the car would run fine but turning the headlights on caused the car to stall out. I don't even know if that is a reasonable assumption, not that much of a car guy.

My car could be jumpstarted and would run/idle fine, but the minute it was turned off....forget it, would exhibit the exact same behavior, regardless of how long the car was left to run in an attempt to recharge the battery enough to avoid having to tow it.

In the end, Mazda replaced the battery and alternator under warranty; been doing fine since. My dealership replaced the battery first and proclaimed it was all good, until I asked them to turn on the headlights while it was running, and when it promptly died...they decided to more thoroughly test the alternator and discovered it was in need of replacement.

Definitely ask about the alternator.

HTH

Old 10-22-2007, 08:18 PM

ONCE STARTED, the alternator should generate enough juice to run your fuel pump, ignition and other electronics, but not the headlights, rear defroster or other heavy drainers. The battery's most important job is to start the engine and then supply juice to the other electical stuff if the alternator is not producing enough. On the other hand, it willbe charged if the car uses less juice than what the alternatorcan generate. So, if your alternator is half dead, the battery will eventually be totally discharged and the car won't start.
Battery and alternator work togather:bad battery will make the alternator work overtime, bad alternator will overcharge or not charge the battery.